You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trying to make a calendar in Numbers. How do I add the next calendar-month page. The template seems to be a one-page doc, but do have to create a new page and fill in dates, or is there a way to add the next month in sequence?

Trying to make a calendar in Numbers. How do I add the next calendar-month page. The template seems to be a one-page doc, but do have to create a new page and fill in dates, or is there a way to add the next month in sequence?

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on Dec 19, 2019 8:25 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 19, 2019 9:56 PM

Hi dmb,

The Calendar template in Numbers is an example for one month.

Change the month and year in the Monthly sheet (tab). Month and Year are Pop-Up Menus.

Duplicate that sheet (tab) 11 times by choosing Duplicate when you click on the down arrow (v) on the tab name

Change the month in the table in each tab (Month is a Pop-Up Menu) and rename the tabs (double click on a tab name to edit)

Then you have a sheet (tab) for each month.

That may help you with your other question https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250959727 "I am trying to make a pictorial flip calendar in Numbers".

Regards,

Ian.

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 19, 2019 9:56 PM in response to dbm291

Hi dmb,

The Calendar template in Numbers is an example for one month.

Change the month and year in the Monthly sheet (tab). Month and Year are Pop-Up Menus.

Duplicate that sheet (tab) 11 times by choosing Duplicate when you click on the down arrow (v) on the tab name

Change the month in the table in each tab (Month is a Pop-Up Menu) and rename the tabs (double click on a tab name to edit)

Then you have a sheet (tab) for each month.

That may help you with your other question https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250959727 "I am trying to make a pictorial flip calendar in Numbers".

Regards,

Ian.

Dec 21, 2019 11:34 PM in response to dbm291

Hi dbm,

"Actually surprised this is in Numbers instead of Keynote or Pages...where I know the programs more."

Filling a calendar is essentially a mathematical task—hence the inclusion of a calendar template in Numbers.

Keynote's forte is presentation via projection to a screen, not sending to a printer, so I wouldn't expect to see this type of calendar there.

I suspect there's no pressing reason that the elements of the Numbers template couldn't be transferred (via copy/paste) into a Pages page layout document, with the pages laid out and ordered in the same manner as the Sheets in Yellowbox's Numbers example.

I looked at the Calendar template in Numbers (5.6), and had a go at transferring it to Pages. Here's one process:

I started by opening a new 'blank' Pages document from a custom template.

If you use the Blank Landscape template supplied with Pages, follow these steps before continuing to the Numbers document.

• With the blank document open, click on the Document inspector button at top right (beside the format brush).
  • Select the Document pane of this Inspector.
  • About half way down the pane, UNcheck the Document Body checkbox.

This removes the document body, converting the new document to a Page Layout document.

• If you will have use for a blank Page Layout Pages template in future, Save this document as a template, using the name "Blank PL Landscape" before continuing.
  • Save the blank Pages document document as "Calendar" to turn on automatic saving s you edit the document.
  • Insert two more (blank) pages.

On creating a Numbers document from the Calendar template, I did these things:

• Clicked the cell containing "September" (or other month name) then clicked the 'bullseye' at the intersection of the column and row reference tabs to change the cell selection to selection of the table containing that cell.
  • Pressed command-A to select all (of the tables on that page). (there are four)
  • Pressed command C to Copy.

Brought the Pages "Calendar" document to the front.

• In the Document Inspector:
    • UNchecked Headers and Footers checkboxes
    • Looked at margin settings. These were greyed, so ignored the settings.
  • In the main area
    • Clicked the View button to display page thumbnails in the left sidebar.
    • Scrolled to Page 3, and clicked on the page to select it.
    • Pressed command-V to paste the copied tables (from Numbers onto this page of the new Pages document.
    • Selected each table and adjusted its width, height, and position to make the page as closely as possible, identical to the Numbers 'page.'
    • Chose January from the pop-up menu in cell A1 of this table.
    • Clicked on the cell containing the year (A2), then used the stepper control to change the year to 2020.

This action immmediately populated the three calendar tables with their dates.

• In the sidebar
    • Clicked the thumbnail of Page 2 (a blank page), and pressed command-D to duplicate that page.
      • Dragged that page below the January calendar page.
    • Clicked the thumbnail for Page 3 (January) and pressed command-D
      • Dragged that page down to the current end of the list of pages, where it became page 5.
      • (Entered February in the Month cell.
  • Repeat, alternately adding blank pages (even) and Calendar pages odd) until you have entered a full year, plus a blank page that will be the calendars back 'cover'. Update each calendar page with the correct month as you go.

Notes:

It is likely possible to revise the calendar document to require changing only the year entered on the January page to update the calendar for the new year, but my glance at the tables tonight was only to note that the MonthYear table, which displays only two cells, actually contains 16 rows, 14 of them hidden. Calculations in these rows are used to fill the first row of date numbers with the correct values.

Regards,

Barry

Happy Christmas (and a Merry New Year's)

Dec 21, 2019 10:07 AM in response to Yellowbox

Thanks, Yellowbox. I did figure out how to add the sequential dates, and to copy/duplicate the finished page for one month to make more. However, they are individual docs of different months, not all in ONE document? And as a flip calendar (picture, with date page below it), how would that be put together in Numbers, I guess, is now the mystery. I would have to make each page and the corresponding image pages into pdfs and just take them to Kinko's? If so, that's fine, I just didn't know if there was an easier way. Actually surprised this is in Numbers instead of Keynote or Pages...where I know the programs more.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.