You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

General question about 2FA

I've read Apple's page on two-factor authentication, and it says (among other things) that once a device is signed in, and the verification code is entered, that's basically it - you don't need to enter a code again unless you sign out, erase the device, or change your password.

So am I correct in assuming that 2FA does not in any way interfere with a device's daily use?

I'm asking this mainly because my dad wants a HomePod and I believe 2FA is required to use one. I don't want him being bothered by a request for a verification code at random moments or anything like that. Plus I myself have considered turning on 2FA but am wondering if it'll just be more trouble than it's worth (I've heard a lot of talk to that effect).

Posted on Dec 25, 2019 1:24 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 25, 2019 1:37 PM

If everything is working properly, it does not in any way interfere with a device's daily use? There have been posts by people stating they randomly get requests for a signing that requires a verification code.

4 replies

Dec 25, 2019 1:35 PM in response to Babaganoosh

I can't help with the Homepod part of the question but I have had two-factor turned on in my iPhone and Mac since it was first available and I don't find it to be any trouble. I have never had to enter a code again on either device except in Firefox or Safari; what I have found with internet browsers is that every time I log in to https://appleid.apple.com/#!&page=signin

I need a code; I suspect that may be in order to increase the security on that specific site as it is where you go to change passwords and other sensitive information. Most people would rarely go there but I do it relatively frequently to verify information when answering questions on this site. I have also found that maybe every 2 weeks to a month I need a code in order to log into icloud.com or this support site from an internet browser.

General question about 2FA

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.