You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Catalina 10.15.2 update wiped all files on iMac

I upgraded from Mojave to Catalina 10.15 in October. Since then I had been getting regular updates (automatic) and hadn't had any problems. Two days ago, on a restart, it looked like it was updating. Took about 20 minutes. Upon booting up, I got the "setting up your Mac" screens. When that was done I noticed everything on my desktop (and any other file I had had) was gone. Preferences were gone also; e.g., dock in default position, mouse not set up, MS Office asking me to sign in etc.

I looked in the "relocated items" folders. Nothing there, and I can tell from looking at the storage tab that everything is gone. I hadn't had anything going to iCloud but I checked anyway. Nothing there. The files were backed up and it was not my main machine so it isn't a heart-breaker, more just annoying and now time consuming.

So, I figured, "Oh well" and started setting everything up again, files, preferences etc. Lo and behold, after a few restarts, the same thing happened again! Got the "setting up your Mac" screens again and everything had been wiped again along with the preferences I had been setting up.

By the way... I had tried a fix I read about where I created a new user to login as, logged out, restarted, etc. That didn't seem to have any effect.

What do I need to do? Completely reinstall Catalina?

Configuration:

iMac (Retina 5k, 27 inch, Late 2015)

Processor 4GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7

Memory 24 GB 1867 MHz DDR3

Graphics AMD RadeonR9 M395 2 GB

Catalina 10.15.2

Posted on Dec 26, 2019 6:42 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 26, 2019 7:49 AM

Verify you are logged into your user account:

>Log-out/ log-in

If something indeed went side ways you can restore your user to before the update using Time Machine or other backup:

How to use Time Machine to...restore your Mac: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201250

Similar questions

2 replies

Catalina 10.15.2 update wiped all files on iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.