You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Difference between 'photo' and 'pictures'

When Photos are uploaded to my MAC they always go to 'photos' but scans go to 'pictures' in Finder. Also when I want to upload a photo to a website for instance it always goes to 'pictures' but this library doesn't have all my photos in it. What is the difference between 'photos' and 'pictures' ....do I need both and shouldn't they work in sync if I do need both.

My MAC is incredibly slow when working in 'photo' and as it's the main thing I do it's driving mea nuts!!

iMac 21.5", macOS 10.15

Posted on Dec 28, 2019 10:55 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 28, 2019 11:22 AM

"Pictures" is just a folder in your Home folder. Some applications are using this folders to store imported photos there by default.

The Photos.app is managing a Photos Library, a relational database of photos and other media items. It can import photos from iPhones and iPads or cameras, and you can organise this database by creating albums, tagging the photos with titles and keywords, adding adjustments, and more.

See the Photos User Guide: Photos User Guide for Mac - Apple Support

You should be able to control, if photos you import to your Mac end up in the Pictures folder or in your Photos Library. It will delpend on how you are importing the items. If you are using the Photos.app to import items, they will be added to the Photos Library, if you use Image Capture, you can select, where the photos will be imported to.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 28, 2019 11:22 AM in response to barbarafrombishopsteignton

"Pictures" is just a folder in your Home folder. Some applications are using this folders to store imported photos there by default.

The Photos.app is managing a Photos Library, a relational database of photos and other media items. It can import photos from iPhones and iPads or cameras, and you can organise this database by creating albums, tagging the photos with titles and keywords, adding adjustments, and more.

See the Photos User Guide: Photos User Guide for Mac - Apple Support

You should be able to control, if photos you import to your Mac end up in the Pictures folder or in your Photos Library. It will delpend on how you are importing the items. If you are using the Photos.app to import items, they will be added to the Photos Library, if you use Image Capture, you can select, where the photos will be imported to.

Difference between 'photo' and 'pictures'

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.