You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Home sharing stopped working Apple TV

I have searched the forum for similar problems but have found no solution that works.

I have been successfully streaming home movies to my Apple TV HD with no problems. After a gap of a few weeks I now find that when I try to stream a video I get a message: "can not find any iTunes library". Sometimes the name of my library comes up on screen but the I get the message.

My iMac software is up to date, as is the ATV software.

My videos are stored on an external hard drive connected to the iMac.

I have restarted everything, including the router multiple times.

I have turned home sharing off and on again on both devices.

The Apple TV is working fine with internet streaming.

Does anyone have any idea what to do next?

Apple TV 4, tvOS 13

Posted on Jan 3, 2020 9:23 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 9, 2020 5:00 AM

This issue has now been resolved. After couple of phone sessions with Apple Care it turned out that the problem was the BT antivirus program (actually from McAffee) which had recently been provided free by my ISP. This blocked Home Share connections.

That's now uninstalled and all is well!

Similar questions

5 replies

Jan 4, 2020 6:37 AM in response to Albert Bloor

Have you recently upgraded to Catalina? Can you AirPlay from the Mac to the Apple TV as an alternative to selecting the content through the Computers app on the Apple TV? See Use Home Sharing to share media from a computer to other devices - Apple Support. Make sure to take account of the sections Before you set up Home Sharing and How to set up Home Sharing on your Mac. Disable any feature for wireless or client isolation on your router.

tt2

Jan 5, 2020 4:06 AM in response to turingtest2

Thank you for your response.

I have upgraded to Catalina but I have successfully streamed from my library since then. I think there has been another update to Catalina since my last successful streaming. I am on version 10.15.2

I can play the videos via airplay on the ATV, but given that the iMac and ATV are in different parts of the house, this is cumbersome. But surely the point is that Home Sharing should work, and has done until recently.

I can't find anything in the forums exactly like my problem, or any solution that I haven't tried.

Can anyone suggest what the cause is, and if I can fix it, or is it down to Apple?

Home sharing stopped working Apple TV

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.