You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

“Character Viewer’” missing from menu bar in Catalina

This problem is similar to “Keyboard icon in menu bar not available” — but the “fix” suggested there does not work. As mentioned here I was able to bring up the Character Viewer by typing Control-⌘-Space, or from the menu bar: Edit > Emoji & Symbols.

But before Catalina, I could check a box in  menu > System Preferences > Keyboard > Keyboard labeled “show keyboard and emoji viewers in menu bar” to make a Character Viewer icon:

appear on the menu bar. That does not work for me any more. Screen shots with that checkbox checked:

and unchecked:

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.15

Posted on Jan 5, 2020 6:10 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 6, 2020 9:52 AM

I started to reply:

Thanks for suggestions (That's the "Input Sources" tab, try "Keyboard"too many items in your Status menu/improperly coded third-party status menu item). But neither seem relevant. Here is my example repeated using the checkbox in the Keyboard tab, and with the Caffeine app exited: …

then decided I ought to try a system Restart. Now it behaves as expected. This might have been my first restart since installing Catalina. Perhaps that is why Barney-15E had the same experience?

13 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 6, 2020 9:52 AM in response to cwr

I started to reply:

Thanks for suggestions (That's the "Input Sources" tab, try "Keyboard"too many items in your Status menu/improperly coded third-party status menu item). But neither seem relevant. Here is my example repeated using the checkbox in the Keyboard tab, and with the Caffeine app exited: …

then decided I ought to try a system Restart. Now it behaves as expected. This might have been my first restart since installing Catalina. Perhaps that is why Barney-15E had the same experience?

Feb 9, 2020 11:27 AM in response to cwr

If you have the new MacBook with the touch bar (just above the keyboard), the emojis are now available on the touch bar. If you are in an app that uses emojis (email, messenger, social media), you will see a smiley face on the touch bar. Just tap on the smiley face, and all of your emojis are right there... you can then slide (scroll) through them and choose the emoji you wish to use. I am just now learning all about how this new touch bar works. It is a beautiful thing! :)

Feb 9, 2020 12:17 PM in response to cwr

Yes, your reply highlights the conundrum of the planned or unplanned obsolescence of technology. I just recently replaced my 2013 MacBook with the 2019 MacBook, in part because when I reviewed the information about Catalina, it looked like my Microsoft Word software (and possibly other apps I was using) would be outdated by the new OS. So I decided not to install Catalina on the 2013 MacBook. Several other apps were becoming "glitchy" as well. I waited and lived with glitchy for a time, but when Santa asked what I wanted for Christmas, it seemed like a good time to wipe the slate clean.

“Character Viewer’” missing from menu bar in Catalina

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.