You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Internal dvd not working after install of high Sierra

Internal DVD drive not working on 2010 iMac after install of OSX HS. Anyone else have problems with this?

Posted on Jan 24, 2020 9:52 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 24, 2020 10:17 AM

Those vertically mounted SuperDrives in the iMac's were never all that reliable. They sucked it dust like crazy and disc's wobbled like crazy while spinning up.

Sometimes cleaning them with a dry DVD/CD cleaning disc and then blowing it out would help. If not, then your best bet is to just get and use a Mac compatible external USB DVD/CD drive.

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 24, 2020 10:17 AM in response to Teamessence

Those vertically mounted SuperDrives in the iMac's were never all that reliable. They sucked it dust like crazy and disc's wobbled like crazy while spinning up.

Sometimes cleaning them with a dry DVD/CD cleaning disc and then blowing it out would help. If not, then your best bet is to just get and use a Mac compatible external USB DVD/CD drive.

Jan 24, 2020 10:54 AM in response to Teamessence

High Sierra is a couple years old and in all the time it was the active OS and since I don't recall any complaints about it killing the optical drive. However has a tech who was actively working on Macs during the years of that vintage iMac, I know that the slot loading drives were finicky and the design of the computer seemed to guarantee it collected dust, pollen, ashes, and cigarette smoke. As others have suggested, a drive cleaner may solve the problem. I resurrected many iMac optical drives that way. It is also possible the drive is dead as a doornail. My own 2009 iMac's optical drive died a few months after the AppleCare extended warranty ended. Rather than endure the hassles of opening the iMac I purchased an inexpensive tray loading external. I still use it.

Internal dvd not working after install of high Sierra

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.