You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Taking a cropped screenshot not working correctly

When I try to take a screenshot of a portion of my screen (CMD + SHFT+ 4) no matter where or what I'm trying to screenshot, the picture comes out as a screenshot of my desktop background for the portion of the screen I'm trying to grab. The screenshot bypasses everything currently on the screen and just takes a sectioned background photo, like nothing is even open in front of it. If I take a fullscreen screenshot (or record my screen), it will take a picture (or record) of everything accurately - all my current open windows. I know the simple answer is to just take fullscreen screenshots, but what's the point of having an option to take a screenshot of specific areas and it not doing that very thing? Was there a setting I can toggle on and off that I may have accidentally clicked? Thank you!

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on Jan 30, 2020 2:43 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 30, 2020 4:38 PM

If you use a slightly different command it should work. Try this: (CMD + SHFT+ 5) then hit return and you will have a window you can move or size as necessary. Hope this helps.

2 replies

Taking a cropped screenshot not working correctly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.