You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

does the iMac only take apple super drive for dvd?

Does iMac only accept the ,Mac super drive DVD player?

Posted on Feb 3, 2020 3:00 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 3, 2020 5:10 PM

Other drives should work, but you might have trouble booting from one that is not Apple branded. Some folks try to make macOS installers on a DVD for setting up or restoring new machines or for troubleshooting. Some third party drives might be finicky about booting the Mac. I would check with OtherWorldComputing and ask them about compatibility with the Mac of the third party DVD drives that they sell.

10 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 3, 2020 5:10 PM in response to glady22

Other drives should work, but you might have trouble booting from one that is not Apple branded. Some folks try to make macOS installers on a DVD for setting up or restoring new machines or for troubleshooting. Some third party drives might be finicky about booting the Mac. I would check with OtherWorldComputing and ask them about compatibility with the Mac of the third party DVD drives that they sell.

Feb 3, 2020 7:02 PM in response to glady22

glady22 wrote:

No one at Apple customer servicseems to know the answer

Open-ended hardware-support questions are unanswerable without testing. Not with any certainty.

Devices are not totally compatible, nor completely interchangeable, nor does everything always work as documented.

If you cannot afford to make a mistake here, purchase a supported device.

If you already have the device, try it.

Some well-known vendors have had products with problems, and others have been remarkably consistent and functional, too. I’ve had good success with Plextor optical devices over the years, but few of us are chasing optical as much as we used to...

does the iMac only take apple super drive for dvd?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.