You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

External Hard Drive Not Showing on MacBook Air

Hello, I have a 2018 retina macbook air that doesn't recognize my Western Digital external hard-drive when I connect via a Satechi multi-USB-C to A adapter. I am able to connect a flash drive and iphone via the same adapter and the MacBook recognizes it. My iMac and PC recognizes the same external hard drive without any issues. I have spent 2 days with apple support and they cannot solve it. We have done VRAM, PRAM resets, re-installed software, and re-booted in recovery mode with no answers. Any ideas?

Posted on Feb 5, 2020 11:54 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 6, 2020 6:52 PM

If you are only using the Satechi adapter with the 2018 Retina MBAir, then this is the Satechi adapter is most likely at fault (or there is a compatibility issue with it and the WD drive). Perhaps the Satechi adapter is not providing enough power to the WD drive.

You can also try an SMC reset and a PRAM reset.

You may also want to try mounting the WD drive while booted into Safe Mode.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 6, 2020 6:52 PM in response to Profto

If you are only using the Satechi adapter with the 2018 Retina MBAir, then this is the Satechi adapter is most likely at fault (or there is a compatibility issue with it and the WD drive). Perhaps the Satechi adapter is not providing enough power to the WD drive.

You can also try an SMC reset and a PRAM reset.

You may also want to try mounting the WD drive while booted into Safe Mode.

External Hard Drive Not Showing on MacBook Air

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.