You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

TouchBar Flickers Solved

I took my MacBook in to the apple store . The touch-bar was flickering. I waited to Catalina to be released to see if it was software related. It was not. Unfortunately, my warranty lapsed waiting for Catalina. The cost to fix this known problem is $475+tax. Very disappointed with apple over this as this is a known issues. If you have this problem, get it fixed immediately. This will be my last mac.

Posted on Feb 16, 2020 11:34 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 16, 2020 1:15 PM

For anyone else's sake, what exactly was the "culprit" or cause of the flickering (in other words, what part cost $475 to replace)?

Similar questions

10 replies

Feb 17, 2020 4:43 AM in response to Kappy

Actually the 100 plus people commenting they had the same issue makes it a known issue. Oh and who I owe how many had it when commenting was cut off. Its easy to you to think iI was treated fairly after all your not the one out $500. Never had the issues I have had with MacBooks on an equally equipped pc. It not irrational to not buy another Apple product when their reliability has been subpar. It’s not a threat, it’s a reality. Its not unrealistic to expect a $3700 laptop to not have issues in a year.

Feb 16, 2020 6:59 PM in response to Kappy

Not irrational at all. I thought it was a software issue that would resolve itself when Catalina was released. After further review, hundreds of people online are reporting this issues. When I was in the store, one of the techs said he has seen this issues. That makes it a known problem and defect. Yes, i should have immediately taken it in but Apple should repair known problems. The fact they bundle the touchpad with the keyboard and battery will be problematic for many in the future. I have spent more time on the phone with support or at the store than I have the entire 25 years combined I have owned computers. I buy to MacBook Pros one month of each other, spent close to $7,500, and have had nothing but issues. Thats why I blame Apple. Its not just this one issue but I should not have to invest another $500 in a computer that is supposed to be the reliable brand. And we are talking out of warranty by about 45 days.

Feb 16, 2020 8:15 PM in response to ammcb

I thought it was a software issue that would resolve itself when Catalina was released

If there is a problem, it should be addressed before updating. Updates do not cure problems or corruption.

Computers are not perfect; however, if you don't take it in, how can Apple repair it? So, I asked before: what exactly was the cause of the problem.

Feb 16, 2020 8:56 PM in response to ammcb

That one tech said he has seen this issue doesn't make it a known issue. That would be like I saying it's a known issue because you posted a question about it. The phrase, "It's a known issue" is interpreted within this context to mean Apple has acknowledged the issue exists, publicly. It's a defect if it's a physical or electronic flaw. These could be considered manufacturing flaws, thus, covered under the warranty. If it's a software issue, then it's called a bug. A bug is not a known issue until it has been reported to Apple where they attempt to replicate the problem. If the problem can be replicated, then it is a known issue.

Apple repairs known problems by issuing a statement in which the "fix" is explained. If there is a hardware flaw involved, then Apple releases a warranty extension for some period of time during which you may have your machine repaired under warranty beyond the normal warranty expiration. When the extension period is over, then the extended warranty no longer applies. However, in your situation, the problem was not a known problem and there was no extended warranty. Therefore, you are not covered under your now expired warranty.

I have sympathy towards your situation but you have been treated fairly. The standard warranty is one-year and the extended warranty, AppleCare+, adds another two years. You could have taken the machine in for a warranty repair "if it qualified for one" but chose not to. Out of warranty can be one day or 45 days, but it's still out of warranty. The only person who could change that, hypothetically, was the store manager. They do have some wiggle room, I've heard, but usually only within 30 days after expiration. It's up to the manager. If you were quiet and nice about the matter, were complimentary and polite, maybe you get a favor. If you put up a tantrum, then you usually get nothing.

Threatening to never buy another Apple product is an irrational choice. You'll go and buy some other manufacturer's hardware along with Windows, but you will find that the story won't be different should the same situation arise again. You'll moan about Windows but it will never be the GUI that macOS is. You could try running Linux which is somewhere between Windows and macOS but there is no Linux support.

Happy Trails to you.

TouchBar Flickers Solved

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.