You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Catalina: Apps bounce, but never launch

I recently upgraded to Catalina 10.15.3 from Mojave. Since then, I've noticed that after the computer has been running for a while, apps won't launch from the toolbar. They just start bouncing, but never come up. Restarting the computer fixes the problem, for a while. Anybody find a fix for this?

This is on a 2019 MacBookPro 15".

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

Posted on Feb 19, 2020 1:53 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 20, 2020 3:16 PM

Uninstall Sophos as per the developers instructions. No Anti-Virus software or so-called “cleaning” apps are needed or recommended for Mac OS. They can conflict with Mac's own built-in security. At best they will slow your Mac by using unnecessary resources and at worst will bork your entire system. Your Mac has all the built-in protection you need.

https://www.apple.com/macos/security/

After that run another Etrrecheck report. I wouldn't be surprised if that was your issue with Gatekeeper.

15 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 20, 2020 3:16 PM in response to John Willoughby

Uninstall Sophos as per the developers instructions. No Anti-Virus software or so-called “cleaning” apps are needed or recommended for Mac OS. They can conflict with Mac's own built-in security. At best they will slow your Mac by using unnecessary resources and at worst will bork your entire system. Your Mac has all the built-in protection you need.

https://www.apple.com/macos/security/

After that run another Etrrecheck report. I wouldn't be surprised if that was your issue with Gatekeeper.

Feb 20, 2020 2:26 PM in response to macjack

It DOES also happen when apps are launched (or attempted to be launched) from the Finder. It looks like, from the logs, I've got two warring versions of GateKeeper. One running from /System/Library either Frameworks or PrivateFrameworks, and the other running from /usr/libexec/syspolicyd. I wonder if Mojave wasn't properly cleaned up on the Catalina 10.15.3 install.

I'm noticing the problem with non-Apple apps and the Backblaze Preference Panel, though not until the machine has been running a while. (Problem apps: 1Password, Google Chrome, VMWare Fusion, BBEddit)

Oh, and EtreCheck!

Feb 20, 2020 2:37 PM in response to macjack

Yes, it still happens in Safe Mode. The log snippet I posted seemed to show ambiguous linking of security-related classes, and the app-strangling seems like the kind of thing an Evil GateKeeper™ could do. I am attaching an EtreCheck report.

I'm thinking that my best (albeit terrible) recourse would be a clean Catalina install.

Feb 19, 2020 2:02 PM in response to John Willoughby

It sounds like it may be a problem with low application memory, have you seen any messages about that?

But rather than guessing you can post an Etrecheck reort.

https://etrecheck.com/

It is a diagnostic tool that's very useful to us in finding problems. Also it will give us further specs on your Mac. After it runs post the log file here. It will contain no personal information. Allowing full drive access will improve the quality of the report.

To post the log file click on share report and use the Additional Text icon in your reply window.

Feb 20, 2020 2:45 PM in response to macjack

Just a single line, since you may have not seen my Log Snippet earlier... I attached it a few minutes after the inital post.

Feb 20 14:12:48 Johns-MacBook-Pro-2019 syspolicyd[678]: objc[678]: Class PolicyScanCacheTarget is implemented in both /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/SystemPolicy.framework/Versions/A/SystemPolicy and /usr/libexec/syspolicyd. One of the two will be used. Which one is undefined.

Catalina: Apps bounce, but never launch

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.