You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMessage shows me Contacts email address

When I want to send a new text, I select the compose/new message and then search for a contact. If I only have the contacts mobile phone number - no problem I can only send the text to that number. But if The contact has an email address - that becomes a choice that you can accidentally select and send your text to. Why? If I wanted to send an email that is what I would do. This is very frustrating and I need to turn it off. Please note - this is NOT me asking how to stop sending texts from my email (there are a ton of answers for that question). That is not my issue. My issue is when I accidentally send a text to someone’s email address which I should NOT be able to do.

iPhone X

Posted on Feb 25, 2020 9:34 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 25, 2020 10:11 AM

If I am understanding what you are doing correctly, no, you can’t turn that off. When you select a contact, you bring up all the information that is stored for that contact and if an email address is in there, you can’t remove it.

Similar questions

3 replies

iMessage shows me Contacts email address

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.