You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail Drop jpeg issue?

Hi, I've had this issue for years and can never seem to find it mentioned anywhere. Jpeg files become thumbnails when sent using Mail Drop, and sometimes take many minutes (and sometimes hours) to download as their full resolution, frustrating the recipient.

Sometimes the files never reconstitute as their full resolution so the recipient thinks I sent thumbnails. In Mail there is no indication to the recipient that Mail Drop has been used, and with jpegs (unlike other file types, like .zip archives) there is no visible link to download the original.

Is there a workaround? A way to get to the link to download the full resolution image? A way to shake the stubborn file loose from the cloud when it appears stuck?

Mac Pro

Posted on Feb 26, 2020 3:34 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 27, 2020 8:46 AM

I just wanted to update, to put it on the record here in case anyone ever reads this, that I've had this same issue for years, and ultimately I don't think it's a good idea to send jpegs using Mail Drop. In this particular instance, 10 jpegs were sent as attachments, and initially all appeared as thumbnails, then after 20-30 minutes all but one showed as their original full resolution, and in the end that one never came through and had to be re-sent.

Always safer and faster to send .zip archives instead of jpegs. Sad, but it appears to be a bug in Mail Drop using jpeg files.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 27, 2020 8:46 AM in response to KevinGarnett

I just wanted to update, to put it on the record here in case anyone ever reads this, that I've had this same issue for years, and ultimately I don't think it's a good idea to send jpegs using Mail Drop. In this particular instance, 10 jpegs were sent as attachments, and initially all appeared as thumbnails, then after 20-30 minutes all but one showed as their original full resolution, and in the end that one never came through and had to be re-sent.

Always safer and faster to send .zip archives instead of jpegs. Sad, but it appears to be a bug in Mail Drop using jpeg files.

Mail Drop jpeg issue?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.