You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I update apps without going to the new operating system?

I have two macs. One I use for video editing and the other one I use for photoshop and homework assignments. The video editing machine is running Catalina, but for the photoshop computer I'm still running Mojave. But I keep getting notifications that I have updates and its getting pretty tiresome even though I turned off notifications. I know eventually I'll need to upgrade other apple apps on the Mojave, but can I still run mojave while updating other software?

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.14

Posted on Mar 14, 2020 9:00 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 14, 2020 9:06 AM

Yes, upgrading to 64-bit shouldn't have any effect on Mojave. Unless the apps require Catalina. You can check app compatibility here:

https://roaringapps.com/

BTW- all Apple apps are already 64-bit and have been for many years, the apps you are talking about are third party apps

3 replies

Mar 14, 2020 9:53 AM in response to ChibiFangirl

Unfortunately, the only safe option anymore is to double-check. Find a forum, like this one, and ask specifically which apps are safe to update. You will need a list of the apps you are running and their versions.

In some cases, they might not work on an older operating system. In theory, systems like the App Store may prevent you from updating some updates to an unusable configuration, but not always. And sometimes, people can copy apps outside of the Mac App Store.

And in other cases, a minor "update" might require a subscription or have significant new bugs. You just can't assume it is safe to blindly update.

Can I update apps without going to the new operating system?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.