You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

screen turns dark rather than screen saver

Hello all -

I am running High Sierra10.13.6 on my mid-2011 iMac. My problem is that the screen saver never comes on. In the Screen Saver window within System Preferences, I have selected Ken Burns=>Cosmos. The sample window comes up nicely with the Cosmos images. I selected 20 minutes as the 'Start after' time.

However, before the 20 minutes of inactivity, the screen goes black, and I never see the screen saver. I tap one of the keyboard's control keys and after a few seconds my re-login screen appears and I go from there.

What's happening? Am I missing something else I could/should be setting?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts -

-TheOldFart

iMac 21.5", macOS 10.13

Posted on Mar 17, 2020 7:33 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 17, 2020 8:08 PM

Have a look in System Preferences> energy Saver and check to see that your screen is not set to sleep

at a time before the screensaver should kick in. If for example your screen is set to sleep at ten minutes then the screen will go black before the screensaver has a chance to start. Also check the time set for the computer to sleep.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Mar 17, 2020 8:08 PM in response to TheOldFart

Have a look in System Preferences> energy Saver and check to see that your screen is not set to sleep

at a time before the screensaver should kick in. If for example your screen is set to sleep at ten minutes then the screen will go black before the screensaver has a chance to start. Also check the time set for the computer to sleep.

screen turns dark rather than screen saver

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.