You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphone cannot be restored.

how to resolve this issue (cannot be restored. An unknown error occurred(9)), I have followed the general steps/solution from the internet?

iPhone 7, iOS 12

Posted on Mar 23, 2020 11:51 PM

3 replies

Mar 23, 2020 11:58 PM in response to 2010_2006

Yes, I got very scared when this happened to me.

however this worked for me:

try a dfu restore:

1. Connect the device to a computer using a USB cable.
  2. Quick-press the Volume Up button
  3. Quick-press the Volume Down button
  4. Hold down the Side button until the screen goes black, then hold down both the Side button and Volume Down button.
  5. After 5 seconds, release the Side button while continuing to hold down the Volume Down button. 
    • If the Apple logo appears, the Side button was held down for too long.
    • Nothing will be displayed on the screen when the device is in DFU mode. If open, iTunes will alert you that a device was detected in recovery mode. 
    • If your device shows a screen telling you to connect the device to iTunes, retry these steps.

then, on iTunes, click Restore iPhone and try again.

this is apple’s guide to restore errors too: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204770

iphone cannot be restored.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.