You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Moving iMovie files to the iCloud.

I am using iMovie on both my MacBook Pro and an iMac. I have just realised that my iMovie files are saved to the hard rives and not the iCloud. Is there any way I can move to the iCloud and amalgamate the two libraries?

Thank you,

Posted on Mar 28, 2020 7:30 AM

Similar questions

6 replies

Mar 28, 2020 10:06 AM in response to gadgetgirlie

An iMovie library cannot be stored in the cloud. It must be stored on a drive formatted Mac OS Extended (Journaled).

There is no designated command to merge two iMovie libraries. One way would

be to create a new library on an external drive formatted Mac OS Extended

(Journaled) and copy the projects from your two libraries over to the new

library. First, before doing anything, on your two libraries do a

File/Consolidate Library Media, and then back them up. Keep your backups just

in case.

-- Rich

Mar 28, 2020 11:22 AM in response to gadgetgirlie

Make sure that the drive is formatted Mac OS Extended (Journaled). It needs to be in that format or an iMovie library will not work correctly on it. There could be data loss. Most drives that are sold in stores are formatted for Windows (FAT 32) rather than Apple, so if that's the case with your drive you can reformat it with the Disk Utility app on your Mac. Be aware that reformatting a drive erases all data on it, so back up any data on it that you want to keep.

-- Rich

Moving iMovie files to the iCloud.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.