You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMovie: Why can't I hear my Microphone until after I recorded my voice?

I have I mic plugged in to a PreAmp and going "Line In" to the Input on my Laptop,

I can see that there is audio coming in cause when I hit the Microphone icon to start the Voice over, The meter is moving to my voice.

When I start to record the voice over, I can hear the music track but not my voice until I listen back to what I recorded.

Dose anyone have a clue of how to fix this problem?

Posted on Apr 6, 2020 5:56 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 6, 2020 6:18 PM

That's the way it works when you use the built in microphone. I don't know if it is supposed to be any different with an external mic. What would be the advantage in being able to hear your voice while recording a voice over? Is it for singing purposes? Just curious.

In any event try checking your input and output sound settings in System Preferences/Sound. Also check your settings by clicking on the little slider emblem to the right of the red recording button.

See if any of the above addresses the issue you raised. I suspect that being unable to hear one's voice while recording probably is just the way the voice over software is designed.

-- Rich

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 6, 2020 6:18 PM in response to BoTown

That's the way it works when you use the built in microphone. I don't know if it is supposed to be any different with an external mic. What would be the advantage in being able to hear your voice while recording a voice over? Is it for singing purposes? Just curious.

In any event try checking your input and output sound settings in System Preferences/Sound. Also check your settings by clicking on the little slider emblem to the right of the red recording button.

See if any of the above addresses the issue you raised. I suspect that being unable to hear one's voice while recording probably is just the way the voice over software is designed.

-- Rich

Apr 6, 2020 6:36 PM in response to Rich839

It only works when I use an audio interface and select that on the input Source.

The reason I use an external preamp is that I use some nice compressor and limiter for better sound before I go Line In to the computer.

iMove doesn't seem to be able to use audio plugins to put effects on the voice, dose it?

I saw that there is a little list to modify the low & Hi and cut off but they don't sound that good.

Thanks for trying.

iMovie: Why can't I hear my Microphone until after I recorded my voice?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.