You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Iphoto making duplicates and rearranging old photos into recent

Hi

Ever since I've had Catalina and plug my iphone into iphoto it keeps duplicating old photos and videos and re ordering them as 'recent' photos. both on my macbook and iphone. Is this something to do with my icloud settings?

MacBook Pro 17", 10.12

Posted on Apr 9, 2020 7:57 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 9, 2020 9:19 AM

iPhoto does no longer run on Catalina. Are you using Photos for Mac? And is iCloud Photos enabled on your iPhone and your Mac? If you are syncing your iPhone and Mac with iCloud Photos, the photos will be synced by iCloud between the devices, and you should not import your photos again, when you plug the iPhone into your Mac to sync other data.

check also, if my Photo Stream is enabled on the iPhone in the Settings for iCloud. Do not enable My Photo Stream, if you are syncing the photos with iCloud Photos Library.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 9, 2020 9:19 AM in response to adwam1

iPhoto does no longer run on Catalina. Are you using Photos for Mac? And is iCloud Photos enabled on your iPhone and your Mac? If you are syncing your iPhone and Mac with iCloud Photos, the photos will be synced by iCloud between the devices, and you should not import your photos again, when you plug the iPhone into your Mac to sync other data.

check also, if my Photo Stream is enabled on the iPhone in the Settings for iCloud. Do not enable My Photo Stream, if you are syncing the photos with iCloud Photos Library.

Apr 16, 2020 4:15 PM in response to léonie

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

Sorry I meant Photos not iPhoto.

iCloud photos is enabled on my iphone and mac and Photo stream is not enabled.

I have managed to remove all duplicate photos on my iphone using an app and then manually deleted duplicate videos. I think the problem of duplicates may have occurred as every time I plugged my iphone into my mac and opened Photos, I was then clicking the import new photos tab, when I'm guessing I should have just allowed Photos to update from iCloud?

I'm hoping now after deleting the duplicates on my phone, when I open Photos on my Mac, Photos should restore itself to match what's now on my phone using iCloud?

I should only need to plug my phone into my mac to do a phone backup through finder in Catalina and leave iCloud to deal with syncing photos between devices?

Iphoto making duplicates and rearranging old photos into recent

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.