You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The wallpaper keeps reverting back to the default Mojave wallpaper

I have my own wallpaper set in my Macbook. Recently when I boot my Macbook, the welcome screen utilizes the default wallpaper of Mojave (the desert photo) instead of my wallpaper. I was bothered that I searched this problem prior to this post. I found a post where I should just uncheck "Displays have separate spaces" in Mission Control. It worked for a while but after a day of not booting, still the same problem.

Any suggestions or fixes? Or should I update to Catalina? I have recently installed the latest Security Update for Mojave.

MacBook Air 13", macOS 10.14

Posted on Apr 14, 2020 1:45 AM

Similar questions

2 replies

Apr 14, 2020 2:07 PM in response to zharx28

Hi there, zharx28!

Thanks for reaching out to the Apple Support Communities! It sounds like your desktop wallpaper is reverting to the default wallpaper for Mojave when you reboot your computer on the welcome screen. You've checked a great setting for Mission Control and since the issue is still not resolved, I suggest you check out this article with steps for How to test an issue in another user account on your Mac to create a new user and test the issue in the new account to see if the issue is user specific or system wide. 

Let me know the results and have a terrific day!

Apr 29, 2020 10:48 PM in response to Joseph_S.

Thank you for your reply Joseph_S.

I have not tried making a new user account to test whether or not it is a system wide problem. However, I did troubleshoot my problem by uninstalling CleanMyMac and moving the file of my custom wallpaper to the Photos folder instead of the original Documents folder.

I don't know why but it may have to do with the Smart Cleanup that CleanMyMac runs that resets my wallpaper. But so far, I have not encountered any other problem with my wallpaper reverting back to the default Mojave wallpaper.

Thanks again and have a great day too.

The wallpaper keeps reverting back to the default Mojave wallpaper

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.