You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is my photos taking up a lot of storage even though I don’t have photos

Why is my photos taking up a lot of storage even though I don’t have photos my photos are taking up 20GB and I only have like 50 photos and I have the 200GB for 2.99 but like it’s taken up mostly all my storage please help

iPad Pro, iPadOS 13

Posted on Apr 28, 2020 12:04 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 30, 2020 6:44 PM

It’s happening again my iPad is the one that has the 20GB and my phone has 13GB and no photos my iPad has only 5 photos 3 videos and 2 photos and my phone has no photos and I did everything you told me what now?

8 replies

Apr 28, 2020 12:31 AM in response to maricela260

What is the file format of the photos on your iPhone? Have the photos been taken with the iPhone in the JPEG or HEIC format? Or have they been synced to the iPhone from a computer and are in a different format, like TIFF or RAW? A JPEG taken with the iPhone may have a file size up to 15MB (for example a large panoramic shot), but a high resolution TIFF or RAW may have a file size up to 100 MB. 50 high resolution TIFF might take up 5 GB of storage. If you are using photo editing extensions, the extensions may be storing additional high resolution edited versions saved by the external editor. Have you been using external editors? Are there photos stored by other applicationsß

Even if you are syncing the iPhone with iCloud Photos, the photos will take up local storage on your iPhone. The photos and videos are stored in iCloud, but are synced with the iPhone and mirrored on the iPhone. The local library on the iPhone will always be identical to the iCloud Photos Library. If you enable "Optimise iPhone Storage", Photos will remove some of the high resolution originals and replace them by smaller, optimised versions, but only, if you are running low on storage and need storage for other applications. "Optimise" will not remove downloaded photos needlessly but keep the most recently downloaded photos readyfor use, to avoid network traffic.

Why is my photos taking up a lot of storage even though I don’t have photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.