You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Internet doesn’t work on 5th gen iPad with iPadOS 13.4.1

I have a 5th generation iPad running iPadOS 13.4.1

Out of the blue, I’ve lost the ability to use the internet on the device. Safari won’t surf and no other application is able to use the internet either. 

I checked this with several different networks, also confirming the networks work fine with other devices.

I’ve done several hard resets of the iPad and also reset my network settings but nothing works. I even tried to reset the iPad to factory settings but that didn’t work either as I need to confirm my Apple ID to do this which is impossible without an internet connection. 

What should I do?

iPad (5th gen) Wi-Fi

Posted on May 2, 2020 2:57 AM

4 replies

May 2, 2020 4:38 AM in response to SHMERL

Given your reported diagnostic efforts, it is possible that your Wifi router may be blocking access to internet resources for your iPad, or perhaps may have a problem with its DHCP Server function. A restart of the router might be helpful.

To restart your router, disconnect power from the router. Wait at least 30 seconds before reconnecting power to restart the router. When the router finishes its reboot (which may take several minutes), force-restart your iPad:

• On an iPad with a Home button: Press and hold the top button and the Home button at the same time. When the Apple logo appears, release both buttons.
  • On an iPad with Face ID: Press and quickly release the volume up button, press and quickly release the volume down button, then press and hold the top button. When the Apple logo appears, release the button.

After restarting your iPad, verify your internet connectivity.

After the router restart, you may also need to restart other devices, to refresh their IP addresses, on your home network.

May 2, 2020 4:52 AM in response to LotusPilot

Thank you for your reply,

As I mentioned in my original message, the problem is definitely not in the router as this problem occurs on several different routers in different networks and doesn't happen on other devices. As also mentioned, I've done several hard resets of the iPad already, including a network preferences reset and that didn't help either.

Any other advice?

May 2, 2020 5:28 AM in response to SHMERL

Respectfully, in summary, my understanding of your earlier statement is that your device works okay with other networks - and that other devices on your home network are working normally.

This, of itself, does not preclude the possibility of selective blocking by your router - or similar possibility of a device either having a duplicate IP address or an un-routable link-local IP address (due to a DHCP problem).

Reseting the device, or its network settings, will not necessarily be effective In resolving networking issues of this nature. The advice provided is designed to eliminate several potential causes of issues.

Without appropriate diagnostic steps, it is impossible to state that “the problem is definitely not the router...”.

Internet doesn’t work on 5th gen iPad with iPadOS 13.4.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.