You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Timesheet - Time (and obligatory date) entry - how do I enter time and get it to use date from another cell?

When I enter a time of day in a cell, it always includes the current date. I often enter the time of day in my timesheet on a day other than the day the cell represents. AS many examples I've seen here - I usually have four entries on a given day - morning in, lunch out, back in and end of day. If the program insists on having the date associated with the time, I suppose it should be accurate. I sometimes (often) enter the times on a date other than the date in question. How do I get a simple time only entry to automatically use a date in another cell that I only have to enter once?

Posted on May 2, 2020 8:05 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 2, 2020 11:49 AM

Can be done in a third cell, but not in the cell where you enter only the time.

The adjustment requires a formula in the cell that is to contain the result.

Entering any value into that cell immediately replaces whatever was in the cell previously—such as the formula required to produce the result you want.

Here is an example that returns the result as a number representing the number of hours work time recorded.

The formula considers only the TIMEVALUE of each date and time value, does the usual subtraction of each in time from the next out time, and addition of the two results. The sum is a decimal value representing the fraction of a day (24 hrs) spent on the job. It is multiplied by 24 to return tha value as a number of hours (and fraction of an hour).

Restrictions: All times must occur within the same day. As written, the formula will NOT return correct results for shifts beginning on one date and ending on the next date.

Entering time values only in all four cells will not affect the results. Ive shown te\he full data and time value in each cell to illustrate the actual values resulting from entering Date and Time in B2 and time part only in the other cells in row 2.

The unformatted parentheses are requires to ensure that the addition and subtraction they enclose is cone before the multiplication of the result by 24.

Regards,

Barry

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 2, 2020 11:49 AM in response to WallyinKC

Can be done in a third cell, but not in the cell where you enter only the time.

The adjustment requires a formula in the cell that is to contain the result.

Entering any value into that cell immediately replaces whatever was in the cell previously—such as the formula required to produce the result you want.

Here is an example that returns the result as a number representing the number of hours work time recorded.

The formula considers only the TIMEVALUE of each date and time value, does the usual subtraction of each in time from the next out time, and addition of the two results. The sum is a decimal value representing the fraction of a day (24 hrs) spent on the job. It is multiplied by 24 to return tha value as a number of hours (and fraction of an hour).

Restrictions: All times must occur within the same day. As written, the formula will NOT return correct results for shifts beginning on one date and ending on the next date.

Entering time values only in all four cells will not affect the results. Ive shown te\he full data and time value in each cell to illustrate the actual values resulting from entering Date and Time in B2 and time part only in the other cells in row 2.

The unformatted parentheses are requires to ensure that the addition and subtraction they enclose is cone before the multiplication of the result by 24.

Regards,

Barry

May 2, 2020 5:34 PM in response to WallyinKC

Hi Wally,

If all of the time values are entered on the same day, their date parts will all be the same, and will not distort the final result.

If the date part is entered in a separate cell, it will be saved as 00:00:00 on that date. Provided it is used as a 'label,' and not included as a cell reference in the calculations that date will have no effect of the calculations or their result.

The result of the calculations will be either a duration in hours and minutes or a number representing a duration of that many hours plus a (decimal) fraction of an hour.

Here's the straight ahead version (row 3), with a result in hours.

All data in Row 3 was entered on May 2, Format for this row of cells is the default (Automatic).

Row 2 is from the table as shown in my earlier post.

Formula in F3: E3−D3+C3−B3

The only issue I see here is the lack of differentiation between times before and after noon. Delaying lunch to 1:15 leads to this result:

Regards,

Barry

May 4, 2020 11:37 PM in response to WallyinKC

HI Wally,

I received a note today from Yellowbox, reminding me of another property of Numbers that might prove useful here.

Numbers is quite talented at recognizing text showing what could be interpreted as 'time of day' and using that in a formula.

The advantage, in your case, is that entering the 'times' as text removes te possibility of specifying a different day for one or more of the Date & Time value used in the calculations. An example is shown in the 'new' row of my example table:

Rows 2 and 3 are discussed in my previous posts.

In Row 4, column A's data format is set to Automatic. The Date entered as "May 1" creates a date and time value (May 1, 2020 00:00:00) but displays only what was entered. While this cell could have been set to Text, the 'extra work is not needed as the value is not used in any formula.

Cells B4 to E4 have their data format set to Text, as can be seen by the default text alignment to th e left side of the cell.Even though they are now "text" values, not the Time part of Date and Time values, Numbers is able to recognize them as Time of Day, and to treat them as such in a formula.Note that the am-pm issue identified in row 3 still applies here, so you will need to add the am or pm designation to the 'times' to ensure correct results. (I did check after posting, and found that using a or p in place of am and pm worked just as well.

The result in these cases is a Duration, not a number, so depending how you used that value in further calculations, you may need to wrap formula in one of the DUR2 functions to convert the duration to a number.

Regards,

Barry

May 5, 2020 5:05 AM in response to Barry

Hi Barry,

Now that your reply has been marked as Apple recommended, I feel free to butt in with a 24 hour clock solution that may help other users.

Columns A to E are formatted as Text. But as you say, Column A does not feature in any formulas, so it could be formatted as Automatic.

The red error triangles are a problem that we can deal with by using the IFERROR function (if, indeed, that is a problem!)

Thank you for always posting here, and stay safe.

Kind regards,

Ian.

May 2, 2020 12:19 PM in response to Barry

I think I understand what you did there.

I certainly understand that what I am trying to do will require a "resultant" cell.

What I really want is to be able to type in the following, for instance:

9:00 (4 keystrokes) [TAB] 12:30 (6 more keystrokes) [TAB] 1:30 (5 more keystrokes) [TAB] 5:00 (5 more keystrokes)

and have the "resultant" cell reflect those times as entered, on the date referenced by another cell, typically at the beginning of that row (or at the beginning of the "resultant cell" row)

The purpose is to enter the times without having to manipulate the date manually - I don't do data entry on the date it represents - I enter the data later in the week from handwritten notes

I appreciate your taking the time to respond.

Timesheet - Time (and obligatory date) entry - how do I enter time and get it to use date from another cell?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.