You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Screenshots are captured but the .png’s do not appear in File Manager all the time

Hi, my ~2015 Mac Pro 13” (Catalina 10.15.4) captures screenshots but the .png does not appear in File Manager all of the time. Not sure, but I have only noticed it since Catalina upgrade ~2 months ago.

The screenshot .png appears in File Manager once if I change any Options (Shift-cmd-5, toggle "Show floating thumbnail" on or off, "Save to" location etc), but subsequent screenshots are saved but don’t appear in File Manager. I know the screenshots are being saved as I can paste the most recent one taken using cmd-v.

Something else strange: If the “Floating thumbnail” option is selected, the first time I take a screenshot the thumbnail image appears on screen and the “shutter” sounds, but on subsequent screenshots the shutter sounds, but no thumbnail appears. The .png is being saved as I can paste the most recent one taken using cmd-v.

I tried resetting the PRAM - no change.

Tried Safe Mode – no change.

Tried different “Save to” locations – no change.

Tried full and partial screenshots (Shift-ctrl-cmd-3, Shift-ctrl-cmd-4) – no change.

Any help appreciated, thanks.

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on May 7, 2020 10:05 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 8, 2020 9:11 AM

PeterEdwardAU wrote:

Hi, my ~2015 Mac Pro 13” (Catalina 10.15.4) captures screenshots but the .png does not appear in File Manager all of the time. Not sure, but I have only noticed it since Catalina upgrade ~2 months ago.

The screenshot .png appears in File Manager once if I change any Options (Shift-cmd-5, toggle "Show floating thumbnail" on or off, "Save to" location etc), but subsequent screenshots are saved but don’t appear in File Manager. I know the screenshots are being saved as I can paste the most recent one taken using cmd-v.

Something else strange: If the “Floating thumbnail” option is selected, the first time I take a screenshot the thumbnail image appears on screen and the “shutter” sounds, but on subsequent screenshots the shutter sounds, but no thumbnail appears. The .png is being saved as I can paste the most recent one taken using cmd-v.

Tried full and partial screenshots (Shift-ctrl-cmd-3, Shift-ctrl-cmd-4) – no change.

What is the "File Manager" ?

You can try reinstalling the Combo update macOS 10.15.4 https://support.apple.com/kb/DL2037?locale=en_US

on top of youe existing macOS 10.15.4 to sort anomalies.

if no resolve reinstall the macOS—

How to reinstall macOS from macOS Recovery - https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204904

Beside safeboot to troubleshoot

—Test issue in another user (or guest user) account  https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204443

This will tell you if it a universal issue or isolated to your user/admin account. 

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 8, 2020 9:11 AM in response to PeterEdwardAU

PeterEdwardAU wrote:

What is the "File Manager" ?

You can try reinstalling the Combo update macOS 10.15.4 https://support.apple.com/kb/DL2037?locale=en_US

on top of youe existing macOS 10.15.4 to sort anomalies.

if no resolve reinstall the macOS—

How to reinstall macOS from macOS Recovery - https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204904

Beside safeboot to troubleshoot

—Test issue in another user (or guest user) account  https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204443

This will tell you if it a universal issue or isolated to your user/admin account. 

May 10, 2020 11:11 PM in response to leroydouglas

Hi Leroy,

first of all thank you for your rapid response and suggestions - sorry that I said File manager, not Finder.

I tried reinstalling the Combo Update macOS - no change to the problem, and the after the reinstall of the macOS.

I also set up another user acct (Admin privilege) - same problem.

I tried a Safe Boot with the new OS - no change.

Sorry to be a pain.

Thanks,

Peter.

May 16, 2020 9:41 PM in response to leroydouglas

Hi Leroy,

I have tried saving the shots to various places and the function works for a few times but then stops.

No difference if I am doing partial or total screen shots.

When I change any of the Options settings (shift-cmd-5) this prompts the function to work correctly for a short time, but then it reverts back to not functioning correctly after a small number (<~5) screenshots.

I am running out of things to try.

Thanks,

Peter.

Screenshots are captured but the .png’s do not appear in File Manager all the time

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.