You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

macOS Catalina: Time Machine crashing half-way

When I am trying to backup using TimeMachine, it crashes about half-way through the backup. I have tried multiple backup drives, all fail around the same time (590GB of 1TB). Therefore I don't believe it's the external drive but something on my iMac that is causing the crash. I have checked Console and I get the same crash report on process backupd. I need help in figuring out how to read this report. I have copied a portion of this report out here. I'm hoping someone can help me find the answer. I have run Disk Utility and everything is coming out fine on my iMAC hard drive.

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on May 13, 2020 4:41 AM

Similar questions

1 reply

May 13, 2020 4:56 PM in response to JMacMBD

Hi JMacMBD,

I understand that Time Machine is unable to complete a backup and stops approximately halfway through the process. I also see that you've tried multiple drives and the same behavior occurs. I know how important it is to be sure that you have a backup of your data; I'd like to help. I'd recommend reviewing the information in the following resource for any steps you may not have tried yet: If you can't back up or restore your Mac using Time Machine

Should you continue to have trouble, reach out to Apple for additional assistance: Contact Apple Support

Best Regards.

macOS Catalina: Time Machine crashing half-way

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.