You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

mid 2012 macbook pro won't update.

Hi, my mom recently got a MacbookPro mid 2012 with Mountain Lion 10.8.5

but i want it to update it cause you know Compatibility with like, everything.

I searched for mavericks on Apple's web but could not find it anywhere so, i tried clean install for catalina but it does not work...What should i do?

should i throw away the computer, install windows or Linux? or is it out there a way to update it

PD i also downloaded a maverick ISO but does not work...

Posted on May 13, 2020 2:04 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 13, 2020 2:35 PM

AndyMo94 Said:

"mid 2012 macbook pro won't update. Hi, my mom recently got a MacbookPro mid 2012 with Mountain Lion 10.8.5 but i want it to update it cause you know Compatibility with like, everything. I searched for mavericks on Apple's web but could not find it anywhere so, i tried clean install for catalina but it does not work...What should I do[...]"

-------

Go Here: How to upgrade to macOS Catalina - Apple Support

If a direct install does not work, then you could install High Sierra, and upgrade to Catalina from that.

Confirm Compatibility:

1. Enter the Serial Number Here: Check Your Service and Support Coverage - Apple Support
  2. See if the Model is Listed Here: macOS Catalina is Compatible with these Computers
  3. Install Using a: Bootable Installer for macOS 10.13 High Sierra
  4. Then, you can Upgrade to Catalina: Bootable Installer for macOS 10.15 Catalina

Creating the USB Bootable Installer:

Use another Mac to create one. Or, while in Recovery Mode, go to: Utilities menu > Open: Terminal. Create one for High Sierra, and then one for Catalina.

Use a Reliable Connection:

Reset your Router - and, if an available option, connect to the router using a CAT6 Ethernet cable (a network cable).

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 13, 2020 2:35 PM in response to AndyMo94

AndyMo94 Said:

"mid 2012 macbook pro won't update. Hi, my mom recently got a MacbookPro mid 2012 with Mountain Lion 10.8.5 but i want it to update it cause you know Compatibility with like, everything. I searched for mavericks on Apple's web but could not find it anywhere so, i tried clean install for catalina but it does not work...What should I do[...]"

-------

Go Here: How to upgrade to macOS Catalina - Apple Support

If a direct install does not work, then you could install High Sierra, and upgrade to Catalina from that.

Confirm Compatibility:

1. Enter the Serial Number Here: Check Your Service and Support Coverage - Apple Support
  2. See if the Model is Listed Here: macOS Catalina is Compatible with these Computers
  3. Install Using a: Bootable Installer for macOS 10.13 High Sierra
  4. Then, you can Upgrade to Catalina: Bootable Installer for macOS 10.15 Catalina

Creating the USB Bootable Installer:

Use another Mac to create one. Or, while in Recovery Mode, go to: Utilities menu > Open: Terminal. Create one for High Sierra, and then one for Catalina.

Use a Reliable Connection:

Reset your Router - and, if an available option, connect to the router using a CAT6 Ethernet cable (a network cable).

mid 2012 macbook pro won't update.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.