You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I purchased iCloud to free up space on my iPhone 8. My photos are not automatically uploading. I

Hi, I purchased iCloud in order to free up space on my iPhone 8 but my photos are not automatically uploading. I've checked all settings to make sure they are enabled. I've tried signing in and out of iCloud and turning on and off my phone. I'm running ios 13.1.2 but can't upgrade to the newest version until I free up space. (I cannot do this through my computer either as there is no space there).

How can I fix this? I still show only 1% of iCloud being used and I cannot seem to activate the photo upload. Thanks

iPhone 8, iOS 13

Posted on May 17, 2020 2:18 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 17, 2020 2:31 PM

Back up your iPhone to a local Windows or Mac.

iCloud photos is a synching service and not a backup service.

Find a few big (local) files or movies, and AirDrop them elsewhere to free up (some) room.

If the files or movies are downloaded and remain available for another download, just delete them.

Then delete the photos or movies.

Then update to 13.4.1.

Then get iCloud photos going.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 17, 2020 2:31 PM in response to NoodleCity

Back up your iPhone to a local Windows or Mac.

iCloud photos is a synching service and not a backup service.

Find a few big (local) files or movies, and AirDrop them elsewhere to free up (some) room.

If the files or movies are downloaded and remain available for another download, just delete them.

Then delete the photos or movies.

Then update to 13.4.1.

Then get iCloud photos going.

I purchased iCloud to free up space on my iPhone 8. My photos are not automatically uploading. I

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.