You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphone xs max - model No# A1921 ( MT632LL/A) bought from US, will work in India?

Will iphone xs max 512 GB model No# A1921 ( MT632LL/A) bought from US, will work in India? I have bought this phone as an unlocked phone from one of the private party. He says its fully unlocked phone and will work with any GSM / CDMA sim network. But the question is - will it work in India if i use this phone in India with Indian networks?

iPhone XS Max

Posted on May 20, 2020 11:17 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 20, 2020 11:38 PM

It is a 512GB, Silver iPhone Xs Max. It is an AT&T version however is capable of working with GSM and CDMA networks. India is predominently GSM. Here are the cellular bands that the iPhone comes with-

• GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)
  • UMTS/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA (850, 900, 1700/2100, 1900, 2100 MHz)
  • CDMA EV-DO Rev. A (800, 1900 MHz)
  • FDD‑LTE (Bands 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 12, 13, 14, 17, 18, 19, 20, 25, 26, 29, 30, 32, 66, 71)
  • TD‑LTE (Bands 34, 38, 39, 40, 41, 46)

You need to do two things on your own-

1. Confirm with your seller that the iPhone is UNLOCKED.
  2. Look at the band list above and match with the carrier's band list that you will use in India.

Axel F.

12 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 20, 2020 11:38 PM in response to arpan289

It is a 512GB, Silver iPhone Xs Max. It is an AT&T version however is capable of working with GSM and CDMA networks. India is predominently GSM. Here are the cellular bands that the iPhone comes with-

• GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)
  • UMTS/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA (850, 900, 1700/2100, 1900, 2100 MHz)
  • CDMA EV-DO Rev. A (800, 1900 MHz)
  • FDD‑LTE (Bands 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 12, 13, 14, 17, 18, 19, 20, 25, 26, 29, 30, 32, 66, 71)
  • TD‑LTE (Bands 34, 38, 39, 40, 41, 46)

You need to do two things on your own-

1. Confirm with your seller that the iPhone is UNLOCKED.
  2. Look at the band list above and match with the carrier's band list that you will use in India.

Axel F.

May 22, 2020 9:17 AM in response to arpan289

Hello Arpan,

1. You have confirmed that the iPhone is UNLOCKED. That is taken care of.
  2. You already have the bands that the iPhone can use (from my previous post). Just call the carrier network in India that plan to use and ask them which band(s) they for their network and match it. They are not going to use ALL of the available bands on your iPhone. Find out which they use and see if they exist in the list and you are good to go. More than likely your carrier is on the GSM network and will have the bands that are matching. Just confirm it.

Axel F.

May 22, 2020 7:44 AM in response to Axel Foley

Seller that its fully unlocked for any network in GSM / CDMA in US and can be used for any sim in US but it also works internationally but depends on carrier. Below is the exact same reply from seller. Thats why confused me, but since its 100% unlocked ( i have also checked putting any US sim card and it works and also checked with IMEI number online and its showing as UNLOCKED )

"while the phone is 100% unlocked some carriers in different countries around the world might not be able to provide you service with this specific phone model. While these phones work internationally, it really depends if the carrier in your country support the USA model phones and their bands. 
Unfortunately, we cannot guarantee that the phone will work in different locations around the world as it depends on the local carrier and not the phone.

The device will work with any GSM or CDMA networks in the US

"

Secondly, i see few of the carrie's band of India and it matches with above.

Please guide to clear my confusion. Please it would be great help.

May 22, 2020 9:36 AM in response to Axel Foley

Hello Axel - Thanks so much.

Well, i have checked the bands for most of Indian network carriers ( Like Airtel , vodafone etc ) in the below link and bands are mostly matching. Can you also check in the below direct link and throw your confirmation? I will be highly thankful if you can throw your confirmation as Yes/No & would relief me a lot ( As your technical confirmation would matter me a lot).

https://www.frequencycheck.com/countries/india

Also, as advised, i will also call the network carrier as a next step as you suggested.

May 22, 2020 10:51 AM in response to arpan289

Hi Arpan,

I double checked the following - Airtel, Jio, Reliance and Vodafone for a quick check (didn't check others). They are all fully compatible with the model of iPhone that you are planning to purchase. I recommend that you buy that iPhone if the price is right for you. Also as a double security measure, check with the carrier of your choice as well.

Axel F.

May 22, 2020 12:44 PM in response to arpan289

One thing you need to know, Apple Authorized Service Providers in India will most likely refuse to repair it if it ever needs repair. Phones sold for use in India are certified to meet Indian telecommunication standards. While phones from other countries meet similar standards, the Indian government has only certified phones made for the Indian market. In general, iPhones do not have international warranties or even international service options; Apple is only obligated to fix them in the country of purchase (except that the EU counts as one “country” for this policy). There are plenty of 3rd party repairers in India, but they are not Apple-certified.

May 22, 2020 9:56 PM in response to lobsterghost1

Thanks for bringing one more critical point? But how to confirm that phone has been reset to the Hello Page and is NOT Activation Locked? Well, i have already purchased the phone and while setting up after starting the phone for first time, it started with all initial setup starting will Hello Page and various subsequent steps.

Is that confirms that this is Not activation locked? Please guide.

iphone xs max - model No# A1921 ( MT632LL/A) bought from US, will work in India?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.