You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Reset Macbook password failed with error

I forgot the password to login to my Macbook Pro. I rebooted the device, logged into the terminal to use the password reset service. I then entered in my apple ID and password to proceed with the reset and instead of completing the reset, it gives the following error:

"This Mac is no longer eligible to create Apple ID accounts. Create an Apple ID using a different device".

If you click on proceed after this error, it then shows another screen with another error:

Reset Password Failed

"There was an error communicating with iCloud". ( This despite the macbook being connected to the internet/wifi and in addition, I'm not trying to create a new Apple ID. All I want to do is to reset the Macbook password which I forgot. Please assist.

Posted on May 21, 2020 12:30 AM

3 replies

May 23, 2020 9:22 AM in response to ronenswazi

Hi ronenswazi,

It seems there's some sort of connection issue with the Apple ID servers. Try restarting your networking equipment like your router and modem and testing again. It might also be a good idea to try another Wi-Fi connection.

If the issue continues seek assistance with Apple Support:

Contact - Official Apple Support

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities.

May 22, 2020 11:13 PM in response to sterling r

Thank you for the support Sterling.

The article offers a few methods which did not work for me

1) Utilising the password hint, which unfortunately doesn't work.

2) Reset using your Apple ID. This I attempted and after entering my Apple ID and password, it returns an error " Cannot create Apple ID. This Mac is not eligible to create Apple ID accounts". If you click continue after this error, it then generates another error " Reset Password Failed. Error communicating with iCloud". I also made the effort to troubleshoot the internet connectivity and I went to the utility terminal and was able to ping icloud.com without issue. Please see screen dump below

3) Reset password using recovery key, will not work because I believe FileVault is not turned on

4) Reseting password using another admin user is also not an option as there is no other admin user to login with.

Given the above I'm still stuck. Any other assistance is appreciated.

Reset Macbook password failed with error

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.