You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't start up from an external drive in Catalina.

I have a nightmare on my hands!

I just bought a new 2020 MacBook Pro (13"). It came pre-loaded with Catalina (no surprise). I ran Migration Assistant to move everything over from my old 2015 MacBook Pro (Retina).

After doing that, I used Carbon Copy Cloner to clone my old Mac to an external drive (the old Mac was running Mojave). I then erased the old machine and sold it. Later I discovered that Migration Assistant did not move my MailData file over from the old machine to the new machine. I had just lost about 20 years of email messages that were stored "On My Mac"!

No sweat, methinks. I'll just boot the new machine off the Mojave external drive (via USB). No such luck! Catalina won't let me set the external drive as a startup disk in system preferences (something about an inability to "bless" it. I then tried rebooting with the option key held down. I selected the external drive and I got the error icon (circle with a diagonal bar through it).

I'm sure the email messages and accounts are still in the ~/library/mail/V2 folder on the external drive, but I can't get to that folder.

If I could boot off the external drive, I could simply start Mail and export everything. If I could reach the Library folder on the external drive, I could drag the MailData file to the new Mac. But so far I can't do either.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Related question: it appears that Catalina stores email in a 'V7' folder rather than a V2 folder. Assuming that I can somehow get to the V2 folder on the external drive, can I deposit its MailData file in the V7 folder on the new Mac without problems?

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

Posted on May 25, 2020 6:39 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 26, 2020 7:26 AM

To make hidden files and folder visible (on all drives), run Terminal (Utilities folder in Applications) and enter:

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles YES

then Option-Click the Finder icon in the dock and click Relaunch.

To go back to normal, use the Terminal command:

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles No

then Relaunch Finder.

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 26, 2020 7:26 AM in response to Brian Shaw3

To make hidden files and folder visible (on all drives), run Terminal (Utilities folder in Applications) and enter:

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles YES

then Option-Click the Finder icon in the dock and click Relaunch.

To go back to normal, use the Terminal command:

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles No

then Relaunch Finder.

May 26, 2020 5:31 AM in response to Malcolm J. Rayfield

Thanks Malcolm. Unfortunately, I do not have Time Machine. And, as mentioned, the MailData file is located in a Mail folder in the invisible ~/Library folder. The latter can be made visible and accessible on any disk used to boot the machine (hold down the Option key while selecting Go from the Finer), but I do not know how to reach that folder on an external drive, hence my issue.

May 26, 2020 11:25 AM in response to Malcolm J. Rayfield

Since you seem extremely knowledgeable, Malcolm, perhaps you can help me with a related issue: the refusal of my new 2020 MacBook Pro to boot off my Mojave external drive. There is one application - PowerCADD - that is very important to me, but it is not yet available in a 64-bit version. So until it is upgraded (due in 3rd quarter), the only way I can run it is on top of Mojave. If you do not know what I can do to make that work, I'll post a separate query here on the forum.

Can't start up from an external drive in Catalina.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.