You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Connecting to Dell Display Monitor E1916HV

I am unable to connect a new Dell display monitor E1916HV to my MacBook Pro (13 inch, Mid 2012) running on Catalina 10.15.5. On an older MacBook Pro not upgraded to Catalina, the display will work. I've learned that Catalina does not support external displays, however, I am looking for some workaround that somebody has been able to figure out or an app that can rectify this problem. Please help.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Jun 3, 2020 8:50 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 3, 2020 9:45 PM

PanamaBill wrote:

...I've learned that Catalina does not support external displays...

Sorry, but that is not true. However, anything is possible, but I'm guessing that it may require a bit of "tweaking" to get this to work.

Your Mid-2012 MBP has the following graphics specs:

Graphics and Video Support

• Intel HD Graphics 4000
  • NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M with 1GB of GDDR5 memory and automatic graphics switching
  • Dual display and video mirroring: Simultaneously supports full native resolution on the built-in display and up to 2560 by 1600 pixels on up to two external displays, at millions of colors

Thunderbolt digital video output

• Native Mini DisplayPort output
  • DVI output using Mini DisplayPort to DVI Adapter (sold separately)
  • VGA output using Mini DisplayPort to VGA Adapter (sold separately)
  • Dual-link DVI output using Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI Adapter (sold separately)

Ref: https://support.apple.com/kb/SP653?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

Your Dell display supports either VGA or DisplayPort 1.2. As such you would need a video cable that has a Mini DisplayPort to DisplayPort connections for the best possible resolution. Something like the following: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B013PWQPFS?tag=duckduckgo-d-20&linkCode=osi&th=1&psc=1

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 3, 2020 9:45 PM in response to PanamaBill

PanamaBill wrote:

...I've learned that Catalina does not support external displays...

Sorry, but that is not true. However, anything is possible, but I'm guessing that it may require a bit of "tweaking" to get this to work.

Your Mid-2012 MBP has the following graphics specs:

Graphics and Video Support

• Intel HD Graphics 4000
  • NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M with 1GB of GDDR5 memory and automatic graphics switching
  • Dual display and video mirroring: Simultaneously supports full native resolution on the built-in display and up to 2560 by 1600 pixels on up to two external displays, at millions of colors

Thunderbolt digital video output

• Native Mini DisplayPort output
  • DVI output using Mini DisplayPort to DVI Adapter (sold separately)
  • VGA output using Mini DisplayPort to VGA Adapter (sold separately)
  • Dual-link DVI output using Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI Adapter (sold separately)

Ref: https://support.apple.com/kb/SP653?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

Your Dell display supports either VGA or DisplayPort 1.2. As such you would need a video cable that has a Mini DisplayPort to DisplayPort connections for the best possible resolution. Something like the following: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B013PWQPFS?tag=duckduckgo-d-20&linkCode=osi&th=1&psc=1

Jun 4, 2020 10:08 AM in response to Tesserax

Thanks for your reply, however, I have the Dell display monitor connected just like you mentioned; with a Mini DisplayPort to VGA adapter. As I mentioned, my other MacBook Pro running on High Sierra will accept the monitor with the same connections, but my problem is with my 'newer' MacBook Pro running Catalina and it will not display on that external monitor. The system preferences' display control panel will present the control panel for the external monitor, all normal, but the external monitor will only show a black screen. Again, what I am hoping to find is a workaround solution or some app that will control this condition and allow the external display to function normally. I understand that Apple knows about this situation and will probably require system update, in the meantime, I bought a display monitor without verifying its compatibility; you had no reason to suspect otherwise. I still need help or advice on this matter.

Jul 21, 2020 12:36 AM in response to PanamaBill

Hello .... I'm in need of urgent help... My Macbook Pro 13" mid-2014 running MacOS Catalina

10.15.6 (updated from 10.15.5 yesterday in the hope of resolving the issue) now refuses to connect with my old Dell Display Monitor UZ2315H with which it has happily worked for years. On restart of Mac without monitor I can log in but it starts up with image of rocky outcrop in sea rather than my personalized screen saver. Power down and restart with Dell connected via HDMI and other small connector (two such ports on left side of MBP between power slot and USB - I don't know what they're called), I get the rocky outcrop and no option to log in whatsoever. I've tried resetting VRAM and resetting ?SMC [CTR OPT SHIFT] but nothing happens. Do I need to ditch the Dell and buy a new monitor and if so which???? Or is Catalina going to be problematic with any/all monitors? Advice is much appreciated

Chipset Model: Intel Iris

Type: GPU

Bus: Built-In

VRAM (Dynamic, Max): 1536 MB

Vendor: Intel

Device ID: 0x0a2e

Revision ID: 0x0009

Metal: Supported, feature set macOS GPUFamily1 v4

Displays:

Color LCD:

Display Type: Built-In Retina LCD

Resolution: 2560 x 1600 Retina

Framebuffer Depth: 24-Bit Color (ARGB8888)

Connecting to Dell Display Monitor E1916HV

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.