You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No markup tool bar

I have an iPad Pro with an Apple Pencil. I would like to be able to sketch in Apple notes but do not see the markup tool bar. Please help🙏

iPad Pro, iPadOS 13

Posted on Jun 4, 2020 6:39 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 5, 2020 4:39 PM

Check out the folder that you are in as well. Make sure you aren’t in a folder from Gmail or something like that. Those 3rd party areas to store notes don’t support markup and if you’re in one of those, you won’t see the markup. Make sure you’re in the folder for iCloud or “On my iPad”

Similar questions

11 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 5, 2020 4:39 PM in response to GreatDane2616

Check out the folder that you are in as well. Make sure you aren’t in a folder from Gmail or something like that. Those 3rd party areas to store notes don’t support markup and if you’re in one of those, you won’t see the markup. Make sure you’re in the folder for iCloud or “On my iPad”

Jun 5, 2020 6:51 AM in response to GreatDane2616

Go to Settings > [your name] > iCloud and under the subheading Apps Using iCloud, toggle on Notes if off. Check the Notes app. If Markup is still missing go to the Folders list in Notes and see if there is an upgrade button to the right of iCloud. If you've updated to the latest iPadOS, this shouldn't be necessary, but it's worth checking. If the button exists, tap and proceed from there. If not, with Notes set up on iCloud, and with a device backup, delete the Notes app and download it from the App Store.

Upgrade your Notes app

Use Notes on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

iPad Pro (12.9-inch) (3rd generation), iPadOS 13.5.1

Jun 5, 2020 4:40 AM in response to GreatDane2616

I suggest that you reset your iPad - but first, as a precaution, ensure that you have either an iCloud or iTunes backup of your device.

When you’re ready to proceed with the reset:

Settings > General > Reset > Reset All Settings

This reset will not delete any locally stored data.

If the initial reset of settings doesn’t resolve the problem, move on to a full reset of the iPad:

Settings > General > Reset > Erase All Content and Settings

This reset will erase all locally stored data - however, you can optionally restore your data from your iCloud/iTunes backup at the end of the reset procedure.

No markup tool bar

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.