You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

software update

I am trying to update my iMac to macOS Catalina, but it says that I need an administrator's ID and password to download. how do I get pass this?

Posted on Jun 4, 2020 11:03 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 5, 2020 12:52 AM

If you are not the administrator of that computer, or the owner of the Apple ID associated with that computer, there is nothing you can do about it. You would have to wait for the owner/administrator to authorize the download and install.

If you are the administrator and you forgot your password to you computer, there is a method to reset the access password. Check out this support article for instructions: https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/reset-your-mac-login-password-mh35902/mac

Just so you understand, that using the Apple ID to reset your computer password will reset and erase the entire keychain in iCloud, so you will lose any and all saved passwords and certificates, and have to re-login to all your devices and start any Safari passwords from scratch.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 5, 2020 12:52 AM in response to timmyb100

If you are not the administrator of that computer, or the owner of the Apple ID associated with that computer, there is nothing you can do about it. You would have to wait for the owner/administrator to authorize the download and install.

If you are the administrator and you forgot your password to you computer, there is a method to reset the access password. Check out this support article for instructions: https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/reset-your-mac-login-password-mh35902/mac

Just so you understand, that using the Apple ID to reset your computer password will reset and erase the entire keychain in iCloud, so you will lose any and all saved passwords and certificates, and have to re-login to all your devices and start any Safari passwords from scratch.

software update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.