You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Hi, I just bought a new Imac with Catalina, is it possible reinstall Mojave

Hi, I just bought a new Imac with Catalina, is it possible reinstall Mojave? pls help me...

Posted on Jun 12, 2020 9:05 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 12, 2020 9:26 PM

It depends on the year it was made; if it was manufactured and loaded with Mojave originally then you should be able to. If it was released after Catalina was introduced, then no - you cannot. Macs cannot boot from any OS newer than what they came with.

I recently bought a refurb 2017 iMac from Apple and it had Mojave loaded. When I picked it up, I had them erase and reinstall Sierra as that is what this iMac originally came with. That is why I bought that one because I can run some older movie and video software that will not work in 10.15 or 10.16.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 12, 2020 9:26 PM in response to sinby1977

It depends on the year it was made; if it was manufactured and loaded with Mojave originally then you should be able to. If it was released after Catalina was introduced, then no - you cannot. Macs cannot boot from any OS newer than what they came with.

I recently bought a refurb 2017 iMac from Apple and it had Mojave loaded. When I picked it up, I had them erase and reinstall Sierra as that is what this iMac originally came with. That is why I bought that one because I can run some older movie and video software that will not work in 10.15 or 10.16.

Hi, I just bought a new Imac with Catalina, is it possible reinstall Mojave

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.