You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I wish to reinstall Mojave on my late 2013 iMac. I have created Install MacOS Mojave on a 16 Gb USB drive as outlined above, and plugged that into a USB3 Port.

I wish to reinstall Mojave on my late 2013 iMac. I have created Install MacOS Mojave on a 16 Gb USB drive as outlined above, and plugged that into a USB3 Port. However, the Reinstall volume does not appear in the Start up disk alternatives. How should I proceed to reinstall Mojave?

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Aug 17, 2020 5:23 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 18, 2020 5:07 AM

Is the USB stick directly connected to the Mac and not through a hub?

Given that it didn't go into the Startup Manager at all, I would surmise it is not recognizing that the option key is held down.

Are you using an Apple keyboard?

Are you pressing the Option key as soon as you hear the startup tone and holding until the Apple shows up?

Why not use Internet Recovery to reinstall Mojave?

What OS are you currently running?

Similar questions

9 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 18, 2020 5:07 AM in response to tonkthomas

Is the USB stick directly connected to the Mac and not through a hub?

Given that it didn't go into the Startup Manager at all, I would surmise it is not recognizing that the option key is held down.

Are you using an Apple keyboard?

Are you pressing the Option key as soon as you hear the startup tone and holding until the Apple shows up?

Why not use Internet Recovery to reinstall Mojave?

What OS are you currently running?

Aug 17, 2020 5:32 AM in response to tonkthomas

To boot to your USB restart the mac while pressing and holding down the option/ alt key.

After a couple of minutes you should see the Startup Manager, select the USB and press Return.

The mac will now Restart and boot to the USB where you will see a Utilities panel.

Click on Install OS and press Continue.

How did you make the USB installer.

Aug 17, 2020 8:48 PM in response to leroydouglas

My apologies to you helpful people, but my question got truncated, so you were not so much misled as unled... I created the Install MacOS Mojave volume using createinstallmedia as directed by the support pages, and plugged it into a USB3 port - but when I restarted (or started) my iMac with either the option key down or the C key down, the install volume did n o t appear, and the system opened as usual. (showing the install volume on the desktop).

So my question comes down to - why does the install volume not appear, and/or what can I do about it?

Aug 17, 2020 10:06 PM in response to tonkthomas

You're still not really giving us enough information.

To create a bootable USB stick for Mojave start with a USB stick 16GBs or larger.

Name the USB stick MyVolume.

Install macOS Mojave.app should be in your Applications folder.

Open the Terminal app (Applications/ Utilities)

Copy and paste in this command,

sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Mojave.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/MyVolume

press Return

enter your Password

press Return

follow the prompt and type in Y

press Return

the creation process should start

Having created your bootable USB installer plug it into the mac you want to install Mojave on.

Plug it directly into the mac, do not plug it in to any USB hubs.

Restart the mac while pressing and holding down the option/ alt key ⌥

give it about two minutes and the Startup Manager should appear,

select the USB (It should now be called Install Mojave) and press Return.

The mac will Restart and boot to the USB where you will see a Utilities panel

select Install OS press Continue, the installation process should start follow the

prompts.

Confirm that you followed all these procedures to the letter or try again

and report back.

Aug 18, 2020 10:48 PM in response to Barney-15E

Thanks, Barney and others, you have resolved my problem. I had plugged the thumb drive into an otherwise empty USB3 Hub. When I transferred it to the back of my iMac I was indeed able to choose the install volume, and proceed with the installation. My iMac has run continuously, albeit slowly, since then.

I tried to use Internet Recovery, but part of my problem in the first place was that I could not boot the iMac into any of the alternative start modes, such as Internet Recovery, Diagnostics or even Safe Mode. I thought this indicated corrupt OS, so I set out to reinstall Mac OS Mojave.

I wish to reinstall Mojave on my late 2013 iMac. I have created Install MacOS Mojave on a 16 Gb USB drive as outlined above, and plugged that into a USB3 Port.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.