You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Installing new Mojave OS on a new internal SSD

I have removed my original internal drive (named imacOrignalHD) and I am currently using it as a USB bootable drive to install Mojave on my new internal SSD (named iMac SSD HD). I am currently booted up via USB on the imacOrignalHD.

I wanted to use terminal command line to install Mojave on the internal SSD called iMac SSD HD.

sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Mojave.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/MyVolume/imacOriginalHD

The instructions in this help area say that it will ask me to erase "my Volume" which is the original HD. I don't want to do that - -I only want to erase the internal SSD. Help me understand before I make a mistake.

Posted on Jan 21, 2021 7:22 AM

Similar questions

3 replies

Jan 21, 2021 10:06 AM in response to ralphedo

It sounds like you are trying to "How to create a bootable installer for macOS" :

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201372

For Mojave the command to copy the Mojave installer to a USB flash drive in that document is:

sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Mojave.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/MyVolume

I.e. you are booted normally and have "Install macOS Mojave.app" installer in your /Applications folder and a USB flash drive (or a "real" drive) named "MyVolume" mounted on the Desktop. The command erases and then copies that Mojave Installer to the flash drive that you can Option-boot and then (if necessary first format as APFS, GUID) install Mojave to the desired disk.

Installing new Mojave OS on a new internal SSD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.