You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to reduce size

the pixel count in photos taken by my iPHONE 11 are too big to post on an internet site that I upload to. the extension is HEIC. this has happened only since going to the iPhone 11.

iPhone 11

Posted on Jun 17, 2020 10:51 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 17, 2020 11:26 AM

There are two aspects to a photo: image size and file size. If one reduces the image size it will reduce the file size but not drastically. Another way to reduce the file size is to do a JPEG compression on the file (i.e. export it out of the library as a JPEG and set the JPEG Quality to Medium or less). The second method will leave the pixel dimensions intact.

In both cases one will have to convert the file to a JPEG format file.

The custom sized will limit the pixel dimension of the largest side to what you enter.

The JPEG Quality sizes will vary and you'll have to experiment to see which produces the file size you need.

For a 134 MB HEIC image these are the file sizes when exported at the various JPEG Quality levels and with NO pixel size reduction:

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 17, 2020 11:26 AM in response to Dr. KJL

There are two aspects to a photo: image size and file size. If one reduces the image size it will reduce the file size but not drastically. Another way to reduce the file size is to do a JPEG compression on the file (i.e. export it out of the library as a JPEG and set the JPEG Quality to Medium or less). The second method will leave the pixel dimensions intact.

In both cases one will have to convert the file to a JPEG format file.

The custom sized will limit the pixel dimension of the largest side to what you enter.

The JPEG Quality sizes will vary and you'll have to experiment to see which produces the file size you need.

For a 134 MB HEIC image these are the file sizes when exported at the various JPEG Quality levels and with NO pixel size reduction:

how to reduce size

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.