You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Pre-installed apps will not update

I bought a new Macbook Pro2020. Keynote, Pages, and Numbers came pre-installed but I can not update them. I get an error message: "Keynote cannot be updated because it was refunded or purchased with a different Apple ID."

I tried signing in with my Apple ID. Doesn't work. How do I fix this?

MacBook Pro

Posted on Jun 18, 2020 3:25 AM

8 replies

Jun 22, 2020 8:44 AM in response to Annoyedonherbirthday

Hello Annoyedonherbirthday,

Thank you for reaching out in Apple Support Communities. I understand you're unable to update pre-installed apps on a brand new Mac.

Updating your apps is important to enjoy the latest feature. I'll be happy to help.

To help troubleshoot this behavior, I recommend to sign out and sign back in with your Apple ID account. From there, see if you can update your apps without any issue. Here's how to properly sign out and sign in with your Apple ID: Sign in to your Apple ID preferences on Mac

Please let us know if that helps.

Kind regards.

Sep 10, 2020 2:04 PM in response to SD_Jason

Also apps are not needing to be accepted in the App Store before they can be updated as they are not present in the purchased app section found by clicking sign-in / photo at the bottom of the App Store side bar. This "potential" solution was shown in the Apple Support published note from October 02, 2019, unfortunately it did not resolve the issue for myself. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT210129

Sep 10, 2020 1:46 PM in response to kozjegyzo

I have the same issue, also just purchased a new MacBook Pro. Restart &/or shutdown(many many times) does not resolve the issue. Apps are iMovie, GarageBand, KeyNote, Numbers, & Pages. Error message is "Pages cannot be updated because it was refunded or purchased with a different Apple ID." I have only ever had 1 appleID. Could this "brand new" MacBook have been "used" even though I purchased new non refurbished MacBook. This is quite annoy coming from a $2K laptop, from a 2 Trillion dollar company.

Pre-installed apps will not update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.