You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Face in photo has two different names assigned

I have discovered a large number of photos in my Photos library that contain faces that have two separate names assigned to them. This may sound crazy and difficult to describe, so I have included two screen snapshots of the same face in the same image. In the first image, the face is tagged with “Harold”.

I then moved the mouse pointer slightly to the right and the name then changes to “unnamed”, which is usual for faces that have been detected by Photos but which have not yet been assigned a name.

Notice that neither of the circles around the face have an “X” to discard the face, meaning that these face circles were generated automatically by Photos, i.e., either was created manually. Both of the circles are exactly the same size and in exactly the same position on the image.

So far, most of the images in my library that exhibit this problem have faces whose second name is “unnamed”, but some the image have faces that have two different names that exist in my library, such as “Barry” and “Adolf”.

I recently repaired my library approximately 3 weeks ago for a different reason, so I don’t think that another repair will help. I sincerely hope that the repair itself did not cause this problem - it would be intolerable if Apple’s own repair mechanism is itself responsible for library corruption.

Has anyone else experiences or detected this screwy behaviour? Any ideas on what might fix this or prevent this from occurring in the first place?

I am not sure what the consequences of this strange behaviour will be, but this cannot be good. I hope Apple discovers this and does something about it.

I am using iCloud Photo Library and running macOS 10.15.5.

iMac 27″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jun 20, 2020 12:33 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 13, 2020 12:48 AM

I have found a fix to this problem. After waiting several weeks, this problem did not fix itself.

Then I tried editing these photos by changing the adjustments applied to them and the crop settings. After waiting for Photos to process these changes (generally, this takes a "few" minutes on my machine), one of the face circles that was centered on a face in the photo miraculous changed to a circle with an "X" for deleting the face. The other face circle did not get an "X". This means that one of the face circles was manually added at some point and the other was automatically generated by Photos.

As you can see in the images above, neither of the face circles displayed an "X" before I performed these changes to the photo.

The final part of the fix was to:

1. Click the "X" for the manually created face circle to delete it, while keeping the automatically generated face circle.
  2. Reset the edits made to the photo, if appropriate, although if you only make small edits this may not be necessary.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 13, 2020 12:48 AM in response to jeffreyEh

I have found a fix to this problem. After waiting several weeks, this problem did not fix itself.

Then I tried editing these photos by changing the adjustments applied to them and the crop settings. After waiting for Photos to process these changes (generally, this takes a "few" minutes on my machine), one of the face circles that was centered on a face in the photo miraculous changed to a circle with an "X" for deleting the face. The other face circle did not get an "X". This means that one of the face circles was manually added at some point and the other was automatically generated by Photos.

As you can see in the images above, neither of the face circles displayed an "X" before I performed these changes to the photo.

The final part of the fix was to:

1. Click the "X" for the manually created face circle to delete it, while keeping the automatically generated face circle.
  2. Reset the edits made to the photo, if appropriate, although if you only make small edits this may not be necessary.

Face in photo has two different names assigned

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.