You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos Face Name Circle Misbehavior

When I click in Info to add a face name, and the little circle comes up in the center of the picture, I can’t move the circle to the face. When I try to do that a thumbnail of the picture appears and moves with the curser—it acts as if it’s trying to move the entire picture. I can’t expand the circle. If I type the name in, I can then move the circle to the face. (Except—when I’m working in a smart album that’s “person not Richard,” and I enter the name “Richard” before I move it, the picture disappears, so I can never move it.)

I have repaired the library, to no effect. I have logged on as another administrative user, repaired the library to gain permissions, and it behaves normally. But, after awhile, it begins acting up. The same applies to a library created with the new user. 

In Safe Mode, it’s slightly different: I can move the circle, but when I click to enter a name, the circle pops back to the center of the picture. If I enter the name i can then move the circle (if I’m not in the before mentioned smart album.) This behavior has also occurred before I tried Safe Mode.

This has been going off and on for months, maybe. Any ideas?

----Mac Air, M1, 16 GB, MacOS 12.4, Photos 7.0, 250GB disk space remaining

Posted on Jun 23, 2022 12:08 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 24, 2022 9:54 AM

OK-- I'm rather stupid. It used to be, I swear, that when you clicked on Add-a-Face a circle appeared and the active window switched to the picture. Now, usually, it seems, the active window remains the Info window, so when I click and drag on the picture it thinks I'm selecting the whole picture. If I click on the picture and then click and drag the circle, it works. So there's an extra click. Usually. Except sometimes when the circle seems ready to drag immediately.

I have always wondered about the significance of the blue circle that sits off-center from the Add-a-Face circle in the Info window. It appears when there are no faces found. On a picture with some face, even unnamed or found by me rather than the computer, the blue circle isn't there. And why off-center? Hmm.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 24, 2022 9:54 AM in response to Richard.Taylor

OK-- I'm rather stupid. It used to be, I swear, that when you clicked on Add-a-Face a circle appeared and the active window switched to the picture. Now, usually, it seems, the active window remains the Info window, so when I click and drag on the picture it thinks I'm selecting the whole picture. If I click on the picture and then click and drag the circle, it works. So there's an extra click. Usually. Except sometimes when the circle seems ready to drag immediately.

I have always wondered about the significance of the blue circle that sits off-center from the Add-a-Face circle in the Info window. It appears when there are no faces found. On a picture with some face, even unnamed or found by me rather than the computer, the blue circle isn't there. And why off-center? Hmm.

Photos Face Name Circle Misbehavior

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.