You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"The document 'file name' is on a volume that does not support permanent version storage"

The above warning came up when I tried to close a pages document.

I must have pressed the wrong thing after that as now I cannot source the document anywhere.

It's really important so any idea how I can get it back?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jun 25, 2020 3:38 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 1, 2020 8:57 PM

JUST FOUND THIS:

Newer versions of Mac OS X application can issue the following alert while saving to CloudDrive:

"The document 'file name' is on a volume that does not support permanent version storage".

This is because this feature is only available for HFS+ volumes, and is not supported by OSX FUSE. Explanation from Apple: http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203598 .

This does not influence how the product works and it is safe to click the check box "Do not show this message again", so you do not receive this message again.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 1, 2020 8:57 PM in response to HESSEY1

JUST FOUND THIS:

Newer versions of Mac OS X application can issue the following alert while saving to CloudDrive:

"The document 'file name' is on a volume that does not support permanent version storage".

This is because this feature is only available for HFS+ volumes, and is not supported by OSX FUSE. Explanation from Apple: http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203598 .

This does not influence how the product works and it is safe to click the check box "Do not show this message again", so you do not receive this message again.

Jun 25, 2020 3:51 PM in response to VikingOSX

I'm sorry I don't even know what they mean! I haven't made any changes nor did I try anything new and I've been saving pages for years! I had already saved it and left it open for a few days. Edited it today for a couple of hours and then I command S to save. No problems there. Then I went to close the document and the warning appeared. Then it closed. Then it disappeared.

Jul 1, 2020 8:53 PM in response to HESSEY1

This exact thing has happened to me several times, and again this evening. I have had a Pages document open for several days...working on it sporadically. I finished my editing, "command S" to save it, then tried to close.

Same error message.

In the past, I simply chose "okay", and reopened the document to verify my editing had been saved...then went on.

I'd like to know what is causing this, as not every doc does this.

"The document 'file name' is on a volume that does not support permanent version storage"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.