You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

will someone be able to track there ipad if i set it up under my apple id and my sim card?

[summery]: received someone's package accidently, set ipad up(after month of being away), worried of them tracking me using serial number/ cellular data(only been using for a week), planning to return but worried of facing charges or something like that.

(i currently have the ipad in the packaging thinking if i should return to buyer/apple.)

i received a package and since covid i did not open the package for around a month because i thought it was a google home and it was not high priority. i then open it around a moth and noticed instead of a google home it happens to be an ipad. i noticed they sent it to the wrong house (it was a house way down the street). i thought .... hey! they probably got a new one and maybe i can just keep it. so i then set it up and have been using it for about a week or so. i am feeling bad for basically taking someones ipad and using it, i am planning to reset it and return it but im scared they could push charges, i'm also scared if i dont they can track me using the serial number, they also got the cellular plan so i was wondering if there was a way they can track me with that one.

iPad Pro 11-inch Wi-Fi, Cellular

Posted on Jun 27, 2020 3:27 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 27, 2020 4:51 PM

I am not sure where to begin to try to help you. You say you received an iPad that you did not order nor pay for. You even noted that it was sent to the wrong house and had an address from down the street. So, rather than take it to the owner, you decided to set it up with your information. Basically you have a stolen iPad. I would suggest resetting it as new and send it back to Apple with a note that it was sent to the wrong address and due to circumstances that you did not notice it for several weeks. I suppose that if the original owner found out about this, they could press charges of theft. It cannot be tracked by serial number or cellular carrier. Do this to clean it for return: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201351

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 27, 2020 4:51 PM in response to mflores06

I am not sure where to begin to try to help you. You say you received an iPad that you did not order nor pay for. You even noted that it was sent to the wrong house and had an address from down the street. So, rather than take it to the owner, you decided to set it up with your information. Basically you have a stolen iPad. I would suggest resetting it as new and send it back to Apple with a note that it was sent to the wrong address and due to circumstances that you did not notice it for several weeks. I suppose that if the original owner found out about this, they could press charges of theft. It cannot be tracked by serial number or cellular carrier. Do this to clean it for return: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201351

Jun 27, 2020 6:58 PM in response to mflores06

my family is more "finders keepers"

I am dumbfounded that you would use that as an excuse even though you knew who the intended recipient is. Has it occurred to you that the intended recipient may be out the money? And that is ok with you?

We just had a post this morning about someone having ordered and paid for an Apple device which was either not delivered by Fedex or stolen off the porch. Apple is not accepting responsibility and neither is Fedex, so the person is out $900.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251519302?page=1

Jun 27, 2020 6:36 PM in response to mflores06

Really? Finders Keepers? You might want to NOT use that with the police should they pay you a visit. Jails are not really fun places to spend time in.

I'm glad you have realized you messed up big time and you want to do the right thing. You should have wanted to do the right thing the minute you received someone else's package and most assuredly set up an expensive device to use as your own, when you knew very well it wasn't addressed to you, but was addressed to a neighbor down the street.

You have actually broken a number of laws. If I was in your situation, I'd actually hire an attorney and seek some legal advice.

will someone be able to track there ipad if i set it up under my apple id and my sim card?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.