You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I am filing a police report for lost or stolen iphone will that prevent the person who has it from selling to a person so that they can activate it with another carrier

I am filing a police report for lost or stolen iphone will that prevent the person who has it from selling to a person so that they can activate it with another carrier

iPhone 12

Posted on Jan 27, 2023 8:28 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 27, 2023 10:39 AM

No.

If you had Find My iPhone enabled on your iPhone, then it cannot be activated without your Apple ID and its password. If you get emails or text messages stating that your iPhone has been found, ignore them. They are scammers trying to steal your Apple ID and remove the Activation Lock.

Most iPhone thieves will very quickly erase it and try to sell it to someone who does not know about Activation Lock.

See Activation Lock for iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 27, 2023 10:39 AM in response to Tashi3706

No.

If you had Find My iPhone enabled on your iPhone, then it cannot be activated without your Apple ID and its password. If you get emails or text messages stating that your iPhone has been found, ignore them. They are scammers trying to steal your Apple ID and remove the Activation Lock.

Most iPhone thieves will very quickly erase it and try to sell it to someone who does not know about Activation Lock.

See Activation Lock for iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.