You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac will not boot up

I kept getting OS update notices but kept delaying the install for several weeks. Then I left my Mac on for several weeks and believe the OS update tried to install automatically. Now my Mac won't boot.

I've tried Command-R and see that my HD volume of 1TB is maxed out over 99% full (about 44G of free space). Is that why, there's not enough space to boot up? I thought perhaps I could delete the trash or a few programs if I boot up in Safe mode, but can't start in that mode either (Restart +Shift), as the system just shuts down mid-boot.

Is there any way to delete trash or a program or two to give it space to start up?

iMac 27″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Jun 29, 2020 8:56 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 29, 2020 6:43 PM

Have you done a PRAM reset, CMD+Option+p+r...

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1379

In fact, do 3 in a row, takes a bit of time.

Intel-based Macs: Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC)...

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3964

1.. Shut the machine down.

2.. UNPLUG the power lead to the computer and any peripheral devices.

3.. leave it for 10 minutes.

4.. Hold power Button in for 10 seconds

5.. Connect everything back up and restart. 

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 29, 2020 6:43 PM in response to steper1

Have you done a PRAM reset, CMD+Option+p+r...

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1379

In fact, do 3 in a row, takes a bit of time.

Intel-based Macs: Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC)...

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3964

1.. Shut the machine down.

2.. UNPLUG the power lead to the computer and any peripheral devices.

3.. leave it for 10 minutes.

4.. Hold power Button in for 10 seconds

5.. Connect everything back up and restart. 

Jun 29, 2020 9:09 AM in response to steper1

Boot into Single User mode:

1. Boot up the Mac or restart the computer
  2. As soon as the boot process begins, hold down COMMAND + S keys together
  3. Keep holding the Command and S keys until you see white text on a black background, indicating that single user mode is loading

I think you can then empty your Mac bin by entering this:

sudo rm -rf ~/.Trash/*

... but can anyone else please confirm if this is right?

Careful: copy and paste this comment instead of manually retyping it to voice errors which could mean you lose data you want).

Then type exit to leave unix mode.

Good luck

Jun 29, 2020 9:48 AM in response to The_Knowledge_Seeker

Thank you for the quick response. I’ve tried your recommendation, but unfortunately that did not work as the system shut down after exit. Tried a normal boot next and got the same result..

Next, I rebooted in Command+R mode, Disk Utility only to see the same capacity (999.35 GB), though it sounded like trash was being deleted when I tried those steps.

Jun 29, 2020 5:39 PM in response to The_Knowledge_Seeker

Strange, now it won’t even boot up to Disk Utility (Command+R), I let go of the command after the Apple logo appears and about 15-20 seconds later it shuts down. So now I can’t even reinstall OS X. Any other suggestions, or is this a lost cause?

BTW, if it is a lost cause, I’m wondering if this may be the only potential last resort option: connect the device to my other good Mac, then reboot the bad Mac and immediately press T? Supposedly this will give my good Mac Access to the hard drive on the bad Mac just as if it were an external hard drive, so I can at least copy over important files. Do you know if that’s possible?

Jun 29, 2020 11:58 PM in response to BDAqua

I have tried PRAM reset and then the SMC reset without success. Even tried them several times.

I still can’t get it to boot up to the Utility Disk anymore either. I do have OS Catalina installed on an external drive 1.5TB drive, is there a command I can use at start up to get it to automatically boot up the external drive without going to Utility Disk?

Jun 30, 2020 7:59 AM in response to The_Knowledge_Seeker

The command worked, but still could not boot up the computer from the external drive as it would still shut down.

So, each of these approaches fail as the computer continues to shut down:

1) Normal boot up or Turn-on;

2) Turn-on, Command+R;

3) Turn-on, Option;

4) PRAM & SMC reset

I do not recall the exact model year of this Mac, but it’s at least 10 yrs. old. Perhaps the auto-update that occurred that seemed to start this whole problem is not compatible with the hardware?

Mac will not boot up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.