You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Resetting airport extreme

Does anyone know anything beyond the published procedures for resetting my airport extreme base station to its factory settings. No matter what I do I can't get it to be recognized after doing a factory reset.

AirPort Extreme 802.11ac Gen1

Posted on Jul 1, 2020 1:10 PM

9 replies

Jul 1, 2020 1:29 PM in response to jpjustjp

OK, you do a Factory Default Reset, or a Hard Reset, so the AirPort Extreme is back to its original new out of the box settings.

Since the AirPort is now in a "new" unconfigured state, are you following the instructions in the Setup Guide on page 12 to set up the AirPort Extreme again?

https://manuals.info.apple.com/MANUALS/1000/MA1644/en_US/airport_extreme_80211ac_setup.pdf

At what point or step are you getting stuck?

Are you using a Mac or an iPhone / iPad?

Jul 1, 2020 2:05 PM in response to jpjustjp

Did you follow the instructions in the Setup Guide?

The instructions say to choose the AirPort Extreme from the WiFi menu on your Mac. When you click on AirPort Extreme......under New AirPort Base Station......the setup utility will open up.

If you are using an iPhone / iPad, the instructions say to.......go to the Home screen, tap on Settings, and then tap on WiFi

Tap on the AirPort Extreme to set it up. The example below shows an AirPort Express. You will see AirPort Extreme on your screen. When you tap on AirPort Extreme under Set Up New AirPort Base Station the setup utility will open up

If the AirPort Extreme does not show up, restart your Mac. Try a Hard Reset on the AirPort Extreme. If you have been using a Mac try an iPhone or iPad.

"Apple Network" will not appear after a Hard Reset or Factory Reset, so do not look for it. "Apple Network" appears only after a Soft Reset.

Jul 1, 2020 1:45 PM in response to Bob Timmons

Thanks for the reply. After the reset, the base station is not recognized by airport utility. I have reset a dozen times. i have tried on both ios and mac os. the base station simply is not found by airport utility. it only recognizes that it used to be there but cannot be located

It is also not listed in the available networks as AppleNetwork... and a new base station is not displayed

Jul 1, 2020 8:56 PM in response to jpjustjp

Connect an Ethernet cable from your Mac to one of the 3 LAN <--> Ethernet ports on the AirPort Extreme

Open AirPort Utility and click on the Other WiFi Devices tab

Make sure that Ethernet is selected as the connection method

If you see AirPort Extreme xxxxxx, click on it

If still no luck, it is clear that the AirPort is not providing a WiFi signal at all and the Ethernet function has failed as well. Nothing left to do at this point except replace the product.

We don't know why you felt that you needed to reset the AirPort unless it was having problems. Can you provide more details on that?

Resetting airport extreme

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.