You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari history is not deleting according to its own settings

Hi!

I have set the settings in safari on my mac to remove objects from history after one day. Still, the history is kept for several days, basically until I delete it. At first I thought it was the history from my iphone that showed up on the mac (because the iOS safari does not have that setting), but also history from browsing that I did on the mac is kept.

I know I can manually delete history, but why is Safari not deleting the history like it's supposed to?

If this is an error in Safari, is there any way for me to reinstall Safari?

Posted on Jul 26, 2020 3:00 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 26, 2020 10:56 AM

Try going to Safari/Preferences/General and reset the history retention to something other than one day. Then go to Safari/History/ Show History and delete everything. Quit/reopen Safari and then go back to Safari/Preferences/General and reset the history retention to One Day. That has worked for me a couple of times.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 26, 2020 10:56 AM in response to Askingthequestions

Try going to Safari/Preferences/General and reset the history retention to something other than one day. Then go to Safari/History/ Show History and delete everything. Quit/reopen Safari and then go back to Safari/Preferences/General and reset the history retention to One Day. That has worked for me a couple of times.

Safari history is not deleting according to its own settings

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.