You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Formatting 2nd internal drive?

I have a new 1TB SSD I'm installing, & want to expand storage with another drive, but don't know if this requires any special formatting, etc, so the system can find the data on this other drive.

I'm also considering a large SD card as my 2nd drive, rather than additional cabling. Are there drawbacks with this? Or should I get another SSD?

(Perhaps a boot drive, along with apps, Library, for example, to maximize free space on the 1TB drive. Or move ALL my iTunes files--currently ~600GB!--to the additional drive?)

Other than HD dying (2x in 9yrs), this iMac has been rock solid! (And OS 10.10 is the last version that will run some of my s/w.)

Thanks!

iMac 21.5″, OS X 10.10

Posted on Jul 26, 2020 4:57 PM

Similar questions

11 replies

Aug 3, 2020 8:05 AM in response to Eau Rouge

Important dates to keep in mind about the age of the Macs*:

http://www.macmaps.com/docs/DOC-13695/

If your Mac is older than March 15, 2010, you can get

Snow Leopard Retail 10.6.3 which looks like the image above and does not say Upgrade, Dropin, or OEM and then upgrade to 10.6.8 combo.

If it is between March 15, 2010 and July 21, 2011 you have to find the prebundled 10.6 installer, or a hard drive with a bootable copy of the operating system to clone over to the Mac, as long as it is compatible according to the first link.

July 22, 2011 and later Macs can install through command-option-shift-R internet restore the oldest system that came with them, upgrade to 10.12.6 directly from that oldest system as long as they are older than 10.12. I would not try to install 10.11.6 or earlier on a Mac newer than this date if it is not apparent in this install option, since Apple's installer was designated for 10.6.8. You need to use Disk Utility to reformat the drive, if something newer is installed, and you need the older operating system that came with the Mac.

Agreed a 10.10 eBay install is a waste of money, and could be compromised software in some manner since Apple never distributed it on its own.

*Links to my pages may give me compensation.

Sep 2, 2020 11:53 PM in response to Ric Lobosco

When you installed Mac OS X Yosemite it would have installed the Recovery HD also, it is by default hidden.

If you want to check, open Terminal (Applications/ Utilities) and type in the following text.

diskutil list

press Return.

So if you don't need an OS on it or any further partitions then just format it as

described above and that is you done.

Aug 2, 2020 10:19 PM in response to Ric Lobosco

Why are you buying a Yosemite install disk from e-bay it only ever came as a download.

It is a free download from Apple,

How to upgrade to OS X Yosemite – Apple Support

go to Section 4 and click on Get OS X Yosemite

this will download Install MacOSX.dmg to your downloads folder.

(The next section can only be done on a mac that is capable of running Yosemite,

a mac that came preinstalled with an OS later than Yosemite will refuse to do the next bit.)

When downloaded open to InstallMacOSX.pkg, double-click on

that and an installation window will open, this does not install Yosemite

but converts the InstallMacOSX.pkg to the Install OS X Yosemite.app which 

you will find in your Applications folder.

(If the installation window asks which disk you want to install to, you must pick 

the disk that you are booted to at the time. Not any internal or external disk that 

you want to eventually install Yosemite on, that is for later.)

It is also possible to create a bootable USB installer disk using the Install OS X Yosemite.app

in the Applications folder and the createinstallmedia command in the Terminal app. 

Read the instructions here,

How to create a bootable installer for macOS – Apple Support

sudo /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Yosemite.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/MyVolume --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Yosemite.app

Or use this free app, https://macdaddy.io/install-disk-creator/

Jul 28, 2020 10:44 AM in response to Ric Lobosco

Caution! This work is generally best done by an authorized service professional, and only after making two separate backups from the computer. http://www.ifixit.com/ provides extensive direction if you are out of warranty and confident you won't make a mistake.

SD cards are generally much slower than the interface for the built-in hard drive. With the iMac be sure to not forget to put the heat sensor foam on the new drive after removing it from the old drive. And be sure not to lose screws attaching the internal display. I found it useful to wrap my screws on the screwdriver with tape, to avoid the magnets from pulling them off the screwdriver. If you are using a model with VMI adhesive strips for the screen, be sure to get the right one for the machine, as they are not reusable. Be sure as always to use anti-static measures such as a grounded workbench and wriststrap. The LVDI cable can easily come unhooked when reattaching the display, and will leave the machine booting with loud fan if not attached back properly.

10.10 will not run on the SSD unless you force format it Mac OS X Extended Journalled. Note, 10.10 can't see 10.13 and later APFS formatted drives, which will happen automatically when you upgrade to the later operating systems, if your machine supports them. Any system that can run 10.10, can also run 10.11. The installer for 10.11 though runs best when booted off 10.6.8.

If you are running an early 2011 or earlier model, you'll need 10.6 original installer discs if you need to install 10.6 on its own partition. And an early 2010 or earlier version can run 10.6.3 retail, and use the 10.6.8 combo updater to get the App Store.

Aug 2, 2020 9:16 PM in response to a brody

Thanks for the info on SD cards.

I already have a high end SSD (Samsung EVO 860 V-NAND), & have decided to go for a 1TB HD as my 2nd drive. Since the last tech that replaced the original HD removed the thermal sensor, I bought a replacement. (Tired of MacsFanControl!)

I bought a Yosemite install disc from eBay, & waiting for it, but I also downloaded the install file from Apple Support, & will create a bootable USB stick, so I don't have to wait for the install disc.

I'm still unclear if Yosemite will automatically recognize files on both drives, or requires special set up.

I'll put the OS & apps on the SSD (for speed, & move (at **minimum**) all my music files onto the 2nd drive (currently over 500GB). This will split the 750+GB, leaving lots of headroom on both disks.

Rather than restore everything from TimeMachine, I'm thinking of networking my replacement iMac with my original one, using "Migrate" to transfer the data over.

Aug 3, 2020 7:39 PM in response to Eau Rouge

I've been trying to do exactly this part (using a 2012 MBA running Catalina), but Terminal keeps returning:

/Applications/Install OS X does not appear to be a valid OS installer application.

But again my question is, do I have to do any special settings, etc for the 2011 iMac to be able to store data on TWO drives, & know where to find that data?

Aug 3, 2020 7:47 PM in response to a brody

Not relevant to my question.

Before I even install the new SSD, I'm trying to verify if the old HD is bad or not. It boots, but fails when trying to do an Internet Restore. Nor will it recognize a TimeMachine to restore from, without an OS on the drive.

Which is why I'm seeking a way to directly install Yosemite, so I can verify the drive's health, & if that works, the health of the rest of my iMac, BEFORE installing the SSD.

But my question (that 3 of you have missed), is does the iMac require any special formatting, etc, so the system can find the data on this other drive?

Thank you.

Sep 2, 2020 7:47 PM in response to Ric Lobosco

Still waiting for guidance re: special formatting, partitioning, settings, etc to have TWO internal drives (an SSD & a HDD). Any secret tricks to having & accessing some data on one drive, other data on the other drive?

I've scoured the Interwebs, & every search returns instructions for HOW to physically install drives, not any other set up, tho I've seen some mentions elsewhere about partitioning, RAID, etc. (I don't want a RAID array, I want the combined capacity of the two drives.)

I've already installed the SSD, & installed Yosemite from a bootable USB stick, everything appears to be working fine.

Thank you for your expertise on this question!

Sep 2, 2020 9:10 PM in response to Ric Lobosco

If you are going to install another disk in your iMac you will need to format it as

Mac OS Extended (Journaled) on a GUID Partition Map using Disk Utility.

You can then just use the whole disk as one large storage space.

Or you can split it into different partitions for different storage needs.

Do you want to install Mac OS X Yosemite on this new internal disk.

Sep 2, 2020 11:23 PM in response to Eau Rouge

Thanks, I do know about formatting as MacOS Extended (Journaled), & setting Scheme to GUID.

I don't need partitions on either drive, I want them to behave as one drive. (Tho I wonder if I need a "recovery" partition for the OS on my boot drive, as I've read about, somewhere. Not sure how much space to allow or how to create that "recovery" file, or if it's even necessary.)

I only need the OS on the boot drive (SSD). I plan to also keep apps on it. The primary purpose for the 2nd drive (HDD) is my huge music files.

Thanks, Eau Rouge!

Formatting 2nd internal drive?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.