You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using an external SSD as my “everything” disk for a 2017 iMac

I have a question I hope you wonderful people can help me with. I’ve read many (and unfortunately conflicting) articles.

Simply, I want to speed up my 2017 iMac by booting from, and running all apps from an external SSD. I would use the internal 2T HDD only for things likes storing music. Is that prudent? If so, what drives to folks find the most stable?

iMac 27″ 5K, macOS 12.3

Posted on Apr 23, 2022 9:24 PM

6 replies

Apr 23, 2022 9:35 PM in response to UpLateInTN

Welcome to Apple Support Community.

Using an external SSD is a great way to improve system responsiveness on an older Mac. Here's a User Tip, with SSD recommendations, on the matter: How to Setup and Use an External SSD as y… - Apple Community.

Regarding your Music Library, I would recommend you move it to the external SSD, along with all your other files (steps in User Tip). However, if you would rather keep it separate, it would be easier to simply point the Music app on your external SSD to the Library on your internal HD.

Jack

Using an external SSD as my “everything” disk for a 2017 iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.