You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I get music from Apple Music onto a clip in iMovie?

I am unable to get the tunes from Apple Music to accompany a clip on iMovie. Has anyone done this?

Posted on Jul 28, 2020 3:15 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 28, 2020 9:05 AM

Hi, Tommo_T,

Apple Music cannot be used in an iMovie project first because it is a subscription program and secondly because all of its songs are DRM (Digital Rights Management) protected. To use a song in iMovie you must purchase it directly from the iTunes app store.

-- Rich

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 28, 2020 9:05 AM in response to Tommo_T

Hi, Tommo_T,

Apple Music cannot be used in an iMovie project first because it is a subscription program and secondly because all of its songs are DRM (Digital Rights Management) protected. To use a song in iMovie you must purchase it directly from the iTunes app store.

-- Rich

Jul 28, 2020 11:36 AM in response to Tommo_T

This is a consumer forum and none of us here are authorized to speak for Apple. I just point out that the purposes of the two programs, Apple Music and iTunes, are different. The former is for listening and you are not purchasing a track but just the right to stream and listen to a track within the terms of the subsciption. iTunes is for personal listening and use in projects in accordance with the license. You don't need to purchase a track twice if you purchase it initially in iTunes for use in your projects. In your case you didn't realize that, so you would need to make a second purchase.

-- Rich

How do I get music from Apple Music onto a clip in iMovie?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.